Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

frustrated over behavior

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:10 AM
  • 3 Replies

by the end of the day- i am exhausted as im sure yu all are... my son, 6, has massive meltdowns when my daughter cries. its obnoxious really. so insrtead of comforting her, i spend the time getttng her to stop crying or i have to et her cry while i manage himbecasue he wil become self injurious, throw, slam.. i am SOOOO tired of it and then if im tired i just lose it and go off and then everyone is upset including me... so tired of it! anyone deal withthis? anyone have a soution?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
joel2010
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM

okay i do have behaivor problem with my son also.  but have you try like playing music for your son at that time i know it does help my son when things get to loud so when can that does work for us.  or showers or water something he likes.. these do not always works but we try.other times i have just had tolet him do what he is doing for it is easyer not sure if that is rite or not but i make sure he is safe and i go to where he can not see me turn on music and let him work it out himself because i do not know what to do not sure if that helps but i am somewhat in the same boat so can only share what i do

logansethsmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Have a plan for the inevitable sister crying times.  Set up a visual schedule that shows sister crying, then have a sensory place for him to go or do or eat; maybe some earplugs, a swing, a trampoline, playing some music/video.  At first you may have to walk him through what he should do...over time you may only have to point to your visual schedule...eventually he will probably do it on his own because it will feel better than breaking down.  I would recommend looking up sensory issues (esp auditory sensitivites)--the sound of your daughter might sound agonizing to him (and some of it might be to get your attention).

Kimmiky
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM

i love the idea of using the visual schedule to help him to cope with it.  i had never thought of this before but think it might be helpful in my situation. 

I don't really have to worry about this too much anymore, since my younger daughter doesn't cry too much and my older daughter I just send to her room when she starts having a melt down and then my son will calm down shortly after everything has calmed down with a little distraction.  He doesn't seem too awful disturbed by the baby crying, even when she was little and cried a lot.  Unless she was going on for an awful long time, like she was sick or something.  Somehow normal crying would elicit a look from my son but not much more than that.  But when my older daughter throws tantrums he really flips out.  I'm not sure why there is a difference.  Probably cause my daughter who just turned 5, is especially loud and obnoxious.

Quoting logansethsmom:

Have a plan for the inevitable sister crying times.  Set up a visual schedule that shows sister crying, then have a sensory place for him to go or do or eat; maybe some earplugs, a swing, a trampoline, playing some music/video.  At first you may have to walk him through what he should do...over time you may only have to point to your visual schedule...eventually he will probably do it on his own because it will feel better than breaking down.  I would recommend looking up sensory issues (esp auditory sensitivites)--the sound of your daughter might sound agonizing to him (and some of it might be to get your attention).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)