Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Need advice...

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM
  • 4 Replies

I need some advice with dealing with my son who has Autism and ADHD. I dont know if its my fault or if this is just part of who he is but for the past few months my son has been slowly getting more vilolent with me and just a few days ago he yelled at me that he wished that I was dead and that I didnt exist and that he wanted a different mommy. Im heart broken I dont know how to deal with something like this any advice would be great

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
charley31
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Im new to this i have a son who is 2. Being tested for autism. But I've been there...feeling beaten up mentally and physically and blaming myself. Easier said than done...don't blame yourself. Not your fault at all.. But all we can do as mothers is our best. If you haven't already try a behavioralist. It has helped me and my son a lot. venting to friends or people in your shoes helps as well. Sorry prob not very helpful again im new to this myself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
charley31
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM
Im new to this i have a son who is 2. Being tested for autism. But I've been there...feeling beaten up mentally and physically and blaming myself. Easier said than done...don't blame yourself. Not your fault at all.. But all we can do as mothers is our best. If you haven't already try a behavioralist. It has helped me and my son a lot. venting to friends or people in your shoes helps as well. Sorry prob not very helpful again im new to this myself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tictacmama
by Arlea on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM

It depends on how old you son is and what you have been going through lately. Has he started a new program or therapy recently that is more taxing? I know that when Xavier has a lot of change he gets real anxious. I have read a really good book that might help called Autism Everyday by Alyson Beytein. She has three children all on different parts of the spectrum.

I hope that helps. The only advice I have from what helps me is I give Xavier something that soothes him (like a squeeze-hug and a song) then when he calms down I tell him why his actions earlier were inappropriate. If he is being really wild I will remove him from what he wants until he controls himself. For example, if he is screaming while we get ready to eat because he is hungry, than I make him sit on the stairs until he calms down, then he can eat.  That way I am not rewarding his bad behavior. I know that might not be right for your situation but it works about 50% of the time for me. BTW, my son is only 3 1/2.

Good luck!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Welcome!  No, it's not your fault, but I would consider getting him into some kind of therapy with someone who specializes in kids with autism.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)