Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Help with physically aggressive boy

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM
  • 6 Replies
rough day today my 2 yr old son is very hyper and aggressive today. I took him to a store...all was well until i went to take him from the cart and into the car. He tensed up started screaming noooo and when i put my hands under his arms to pick him up he was pinching me and twisting my skin and then kicking me, he will grit his teeth and kinda shake his head as he's doing this .he attempted to pull my hair but i was able to get away. all day he has been not only mean to me but he will make that face and pinch my dogs too. My dogs will be on their bed and he does this. He will hit himself or tables or walls if he can't get to me. A lot of times his out burst happen out of no where. He will turn to me make that face and kick me. Any advice or does anyone else experience this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Alma4Mom
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:44 PM

my son is similar but not quite as aggressive hugs we should message each other

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

my son does the head shaking thing if i didnt know better it almost looks like a seizure of some sort.and he clenchs his fist  at the same time

joel2010
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

okay hun.  i have a son that is 27 months so the same age as you do rite now that has the same problem he has just started in the last few weeks getting more this way rite now it is pushing people hard and trying to hit we have been able to stop.  i know in the store he will kick and do as you were saying and that is when he is over done that he can not take he will start doing that. we just have to take time and brin him back down which for us in music lots of the time.   the other we do what is call a wrap which is like what would do to a new born baby and we play music and talk softly to him and read storys some times it helps  i forget what they call the wraping but it is just like you would do to a new born baby the way and all.  at least that is how we were shown for our son. a strong hug helps also when we are out in public we will do we play with things but we try and take music to with us lots of places it is heaven for my little man

humbledmom310
by Kelly on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My son used to have that kind of behavior when he was two years old. My husband and I figured out that the meltdowns were due to his sensory processing disorder and not being able to communicate to us when he was overwhelmed. Everyday places like the grocery store, malls, restaurants, family get togethers, even the TV or Radio being on too long or too loud can be very painful to some children with Autism. As soon as we toned down our environment making it more sensory friendly and really limited outings , the behavior and meltdowns completely stopped. As he started to develop language and was more able to express when he was hurting from the stimuli we slowly started to increase the stimulation. He is now 5 years old and is doing fantastic. He is speaking and tolerates many outings such as the grocery store or even Walmart. Sometimes I think that people do not realize how serious this issue with SPD really is. Being forced to tolerate painful sensory input on a regular basis , can cause the child to find a way to protect themselves from it. The child may begin to isolate more , stop trying to communicate, and just spend there day trying to calm themselves by Stimming. :(

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Welcome to the group, it looks like the other members have some ideas for you.

Eve-marie
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Settle his nerves by playing soothing music, rubbing his back, or hugging him close and rocking hm. When Ian was 2 and had a sudden bout of crying and screaming I would sit him on my lap by the fish tank and show him the bubbles and rock him. That soothed him. There are also weighted blankets which might help. Also you could keep a record of what he eats an see if there's a triggering food for his behaviour. Often gluten-rich foods like pasta will make them extra hyper. Good luck and believe it will get better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)