Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Needing Help

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi my 4 year old "rocks" in her sleep hitting her head on anything she can has done so since she could do it she does not play with kids other than the ones she has grown up with she is very sensitive to sounds werry of men mainly and much more things that i thought was normal she was my 1st child but her ped said he thinks she is autstic but has yet to send her to get evaluated can someone please help me

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
beachbabies6
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:21 AM

you should ask for a evaluation , good luck

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Definitely ask for a referral to get her evaluated, it does sound like there could be something going on.

AshleeP87
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Her ped say he is going to send her but that was months ago i did however call the places here and they sent me  a questionar to fill out and send to them to get an appt but what do they do at the evaluation?

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:13 PM

They'll ask you both questions, do some observation and likely a physical evaluation as well to see how she is on things like motor skills, etc.

Quoting AshleeP87:

Her ped say he is going to send her but that was months ago i did however call the places here and they sent me  a questionar to fill out and send to them to get an appt but what do they do at the evaluation?

jmegee
by Jayme on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I went through the same thing. Google-"ages and stages", "Birth to three" or "First steps". That is what I had to do. Every state has mandated programs that offer free or small cost services to help diagnose. My ped dragged their feet for a year!!! My son is autistic and his twin is ODD. Believe me it was a big help to me. They even come out to daycares for therapy sessions if you are a working mom.

AshleeP87
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Thank you all i ill most definitely be doing some more research. I did do the M-CAT on autism speaks website her score was a 15 and like I said i have the evaluation packet I have it filled out just have to mail it back in hopefully she will get an appt here soon

westward34
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM

There are other placed to get her evaluated. You have to insist on it with your doctor and then go somewhere else if he drags his feet. In some states you can go to the public school and they have testing and can get her into an early intervention program as early as 3 years old. 

Basherte
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Okay as far as the head thing goes. It's stimulation that she needs. Unless she is doing it to cause pain. And even that is stimulation...

Pat her on the head when she goes to do it herself. Pat harder than a normal pat but not hard enough to hit. It's a deep pressure thing. Also "squishing" her against a couch or a pillow or something. Deep pressure. Not hard enough to hurt, but hard enough for her to feel it. Ya know what I mean?

That will help a little... and call Early Intervention where you live and talk to them about it. Tell them that you are worried, but the signs are that your child has autism, and you would like her to be evaluated.

Early intervention won't be able to work with your child because they only work with children under the age of 3.

Good luck mom.

AshleeP87
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I am sending off her evelation packet tomorrow. She "rocks" till it bust her scap open. I noticed today that she has once again busted it. I have to get some answers soon before she seriously hurts herself. This isn't the first ped that has said she could possibly be autstic i just was not ready to hear it then now i feel bad because i waited so long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN