Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

First Post! Looking for answers about Aggressive and dangerous behavior, can you help?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:15 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hello Everyone, 

I've wanted for some time to join and autism support group but I have no time to go somewhere. I am hoping to find some support and even some answers here. My son is 9yo and diagnosed with autism, adhd, odd and a mood disorder NOS. Over the last few months he has become more and more aggressive. He threatens to kill me and his siblings, has broken objects, windows, hit kicked, spit, bit, choked, and punched. He has spent time in the hospital for his behavior. I had to get his younger brother to urgent care recently because he choked him while I was in the bathroom. I hardly know where to start. We just got him a hab/respite worker and he punched her in the nose and might have broken it. He is on meds but we haven't really found anything that will stop the aggression, just medications that he doesn't have terrible reactions to. Anyone else out there who has been through this? 

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Welcome to the group.  I don't have any advice for these behaviors, but I'm sure some of the other moms ehre will have.

jmegee
by Jayme on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

OMG, I am so sorry. Has anyone started to do anything positive therapy wise for him. My DD was diagnosed ODD and we are in the process of seeing what else she has going on. I was told they need positive besides the discipline. But With my ODD daughter I am learning how to be crafty with her. Your son sounds very angry at the world. If you do not mind me asking has he been this way since very young? I am sending you good thoughts and prayers. Stressful for your whole house. What did the do to him at the hospital also.

westward34
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

he has a lot to be angry about. I'm going through a divorce and some of the behaviors are modeled after the way my husband treated me, execpt my son  takes it to the extreme. a couple of days ago I was able to get him to agree to do affirmations in mirror, so for the last 2 nights and mornings he has let me guide him through that. I can only pray he will continue to do it as I think it will help. 

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Maybe something like karate or a sport would help, sounds like he could use some exercise to get rid of some energy, and the discipline and good male role model would be bonus too. If I were you, I would find a DAN doctor or a good naturopath, and work on getting him off those meds and onto a better more natural way of dealing with his emotions, possibly changing his diet or using supplements or even try meditation, massage or yoga.  Also, it seems like he's getting a ton of attention when he misbehaves, maybe set up a chart where he gets a star for every good behaviour, and when he's bad, take them away, but when he gets 10 or so, he gets to do something fun of his choice or something like that. If you get the other kids involved too, then it will be like a contest, next thing you know they will all be trying to get stars and he won't want to be left out.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

westward34
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

He was in swimming for a while and he loved it, but we had to drop out because of finances. I have been thinking I need to get him more exercise.  thanks for the tips.

Eve-marie
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Ian used to be very violent, he was on Ritalin. The doc switched to Risperidone with Cogentin, and she said if he was still hyper to put Benadryl on top of that. We had to change the Risperidone to Haloperidol because of weight gain and he is doing okay now. We also pulled him from school because he was frustrated with it. Apparently he was just to sit there all day doing nothing so he acted out. He is in a respite facility now, specifically for autistic kids, with one on one attention. Individual attention was the key for him, someone with him engaging him all the time so he focuses on his work, and his bad habits are addressed. He still hits me sometimes but for the most part the rage and malice are gone. Since your son is verbal I would suggest having him talk to a psychologist, maybe someone can figure out why he is so angry. In the meanwhile, hide your sharps and monitor his interaction with other kids. Good luck.

unusualmom
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:31 AM
My son has ODD. One doctor we went to said we needed to keep him sleepy - most of the day. They didnt give him any meds because he has other medical issues but in some ways I agree with the advice to keep him sleepy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:44 AM

*hugs* this has to be hard on you.

I have never been through this. I can't help with advice. But i am here if you want or need to talk, vent, rant, cry.

good luck, hon.

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I agree wittyh boxing, some sport to channel his aggression. Most dojos are male run, so that will give him a male figure. Obviously this is hard for your family. I would say get him a punching bag or blow up one. They have ttghem at Ross. Gloves too. Watch UFC, give him a time in the day to "play"

Set a timer, hold punching pads or he can use the bag. Tell him to hit, kick as hard as he wants. Explain that the pads and bag are OK. Add jump rope too, play music he likes. Maybe it will give him thus opportunity to get out the aggression, but on inanimate objects only.

After he's tired, it may take awhile. Ask him why he wants to hit, choke, whatever. Help him recognize that he's angry.

Also balance with soothing sensory after. Yoga, stretching, even Tai chi... on video. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN