Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hi ladies i'm new here

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi ladies i am new here and i just learned my beautiful 3 year old son has mild Autism. I am so lost and confused by this but also i am not surprized by this i knew from the time my son was 10 months old that he was a tad bit diffrent then his older sister. It started with him not babbling or crawling and not sitting up on his own untill he was 14 months old and after he did learn to crawl and sit up he didn't walk untill just befor his second birthday. He hates being around loud nosies and does this thing with his finger's when he get's excited about something.

I was told by his preschool teacher to have him tested because she saw he was just like her son who also has mild autism. He is in special classes to learn to talk better and help his grossmotor skills. I have 4 children and he is my only special need's child.

I guess i just need a little support since my family refuses to admit this and tell me he's just lazy and doesn't want to learn. sorry to ramble on but my head is just a mess right now.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Welcome to group. July we found out our son has autism. He is 4years old. You are soo lucky that you have a good school system that wants to help him. Our school system is bad so very little help. Our son is just starting to put 3words together.  So I understand about speech delay. But we play school a lot when he is at home. Our family don't understand autism. My aunt feels you can't do anything. So don't even get speech therapy ect. It won't do any good. And my boyfriend mom just thinks we don't know how to teach him. She keeps saying she wants him to live with her. She can get him talking and potty trained. We keep saying no !  Also had to get our 1year old tested for autism. 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Hi Bonny, You aren't alone honey. YOur story is typical in that most often it is the mom who first really gets that something is off with their child. Good news is you are starting the process early and autism doesn't mean any kind of sentence.... it just means a long process of figuring out the best way for your son to learn. People will help you along the way. My best advice is make good solid relationships with all his teachers in the future because a little kindness, thank yous etc. goes a long way...

Try not to think of him as having something wrong, but instead try to think of him as an individual. My boy is eight now and I love his quirks, he is his own person and in the end isn't that what we all want for our kids?

Good luck sweetie, stay in touch and Happy Thanksgiving!  xo kari

rocky_mtn_mama
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Welcome to the group!  That's great that he's in classes to help him.  I wish I'd known sooner with my own son so he could've gotten that help a little earlier.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Welcome to the group!  It sounds like your family needs to be educated a bit on autism. 

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Hi,

I just joined this group a few months ago and it has been lovely to be with others who get where I am coming from.  Your son is the same child he was before being diagnosed.  Now you have a chance to learn more about his world and how he sees things.  If you don't mind the suggestion, I found the book "10 Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew" to be a great help.  I bought copies for my parents as well and it was a real eye opener and helped foster open communication.

Also, get as much info from your son's teacher as you can.  She will probably have lots of info to share with you be could be a valuable resource.  It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.  Toss off the negative remarks and attitudes and follow your heart.  You know your son best and he is in good hands with you!

tictacmama
by Arlea on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Well, first of all welcome. Second, don't worry many of us deal with the same issues, you are not alone. The good news is some of your family will become more accepting as time goes, the bad news is others will not.

But the most important part is he has you to love him regardless and you have us to vent to when you need it.

Welcome to the group!

Basherte
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:15 PM

*hugs*

Welcome to the group. This is the best place on here. Very supportive. 

I would just tell them what is going on and then tell them they have a few options. You and your children don't need that negativity in their lives. I would tell them that they can either accept the diagnosis, or stay away.

Right now you and all of your children need support. I hope they don't say this in front of your children. If they do they are harming all of your kids. It can also encourage your other kids to pick on the special needs child. Neither of you need that.

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM
We are here to support you. It is hard to do this wittghout support. Beauty is him being diagnosed gives him more time to catch up. My son was 3 when diagnosed. His only communication was echolalia, zero eye contact, stimming nonstop. He will be 6 in two months and he has vastly improved. Its a difficult journey, but it does get better as you learn to cope. You also have three older siblings to help him
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bonniemommy100
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Thank you ladies i am realy happy to finally find a support group and one of his siblings is older and 2 are younger but they still help him in diffrent ways

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)