Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Fire! Fire! Fire!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

Yesterday morning at my daughters school there was a fire. No big deal, a furnace blew at the elementary school. All the kids evacuated, fire department there for almost an hour. NO big deal, just get back going with your day like nothing happened.

I wish that was the case for my daughter. She wouldn’t leave the school at first for the evacuation, then once it was all cleared to go back in, she wouldn’t go back in. I was at school with her almost the entire day. Poor girl got her routine messed up so bad it made for a really bad day for her.

Sadly I’m still dealing with the consequences. Every place we went today, walmart, an indoor soccer place, dinner, in the car, even just being home. I was asked about fires. What do we do if there is a fire while we are here? Where is the emergency exit? Is there a sound with the emergency exit? Mom, what happens if our car starts fire? What if we are in the car when it starts on fire? I have had non-stop fire questions for over 24 hours now.

It was funny at dinner tonight, the waitress who was assigned to serve us learned all about her fire plan along with my daughter and myself. There were two emergency exits in the building. 8 fire extinguishers. All located in different locations. They do have a plan on how to evacuate all the patrons in case of emergency, but no one there knew what that plan was. (this made Lou very upset, to the point of saying she wasn’t going to eat there again)

I’m hoping, but doubting that the fire fear will be gone before tomorrow, where there is church, a play, and a visit planned up to a family members house. Looks like I am going to be getting familiar with more fire plans.

Am I a bad person for not feeling bad for all the questions my daughter asked a complete stranger in less then an hour?

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM

My son used to freak out when the fire alarm would go off at school. Luckily, most were planned so his aide would try to get him out of the building a few minutes early so it wasnt so traumatic for him. He knows that they are only practice drills ....

Dont ever feel bad about the questions she asks!

Basherte
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM

You are not. Everyone should have a fire plan in place.

Your daughter may be taking it a bit further than most people would, but I'd rather be safe than sorry as well.

That waitress should have known all the answers to the questions that were asked. After all, it is reasonable to have those questions, and reasonable that they were asked as well. 

Kudos for your daughter wanting to know that she would be safe, and understanding that is was an accident.

I hope that she feels safe again very soon. 

Kudos to you for not minimizing her fears, but giving her knowledge so that she can understand that she is safe. 

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM

LOL - No, you're not a bad person and it's good that she's thinking about this.  Hopefully she'll calm down soon.

knkd
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM

My daughter did this in 1st grade...but it wasn't fire...it was tornadoes...   It was so bad, they would call me when she was at school to pick her up because she would get physically sick with worry.  

Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I always ask about the emergency exit when I visit a new business and it isn't plainly marked.  Apparently most people don't because I always get looked at like I asked if I could eat their baby's brains for desert.  I used to try to explain that there could be an emergency requiring evacuation, but that just made it worse.  Now, I just ask if there is another exit and where it is and leave it at that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)