Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

hyperlexia?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM
  • 4 Replies
My dd's therapists are thinking she has hyperlexia, a capability to read and dissect words without any formal training in reading!?! Are any of your children doing this, I'm curious? I googled and it said children on the spectrum are more likely to have this skill. If your child does have it, what are some ways to fuel this wonderful adaptation? TY- one very curious mommy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 4 and just starting to speak lately, still not very well with conversational speech yet. I have been teaching her to tell me what the pictures are we are looking at, and to my surprise, she has actually read some of the words to me! Its amazing to me, a girl that can barely speak can read! I am helping her develop it by getting some new apps for her iPad, which help her build words and work on reading skills now. When I was 4, I was reading too, big books, no problem. I may have had a touch of this too.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!  That's a neat ability to have if she does.  :)

NatureMomof3
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

If she likes reading and can comprehend, i would go to the library and load up on books! Mine does not have it. He is 7 and has remarkable math skills. He enjoys math puzzle books and lots of puzzle and problem solving apps on the ipad. I also use him as my human calculator because he can add and subract faster than me! I'm still better at multiplication but probably not for long. . . 

La_Vie_en_R0se
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm...that's interesting.  My son taught himself to read when he was just 3.  He was reading with 3rd graders when he was in kindergarten.  I just looked it up, he exhibits some of the characteristics but not all.  He does not have austism though, but he is quirky.  He is 15 now and an avid, avid, reader.  He read something like 5000 pages this summer (we have a teen reading program at our library. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)