Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

meds

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM
  • 17 Replies

my 4 year old son has seizures. he had his first meltdown. i took him to his dr yesterday. they want to put him on meds that may increase the amount of seizures. they want to put him on risperidone. i was just wondering if anyone has tried this med and if its worth trying.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Hi.  My 5yo ASD DS has been on it since July for aggression and impulsivity.  It was good at 1st,we saw more talking,interaction,eye contact.  It leveled off after a few wks.  He still does some hitting,pushing at school,and he is still a runner.  He has had no side effects from Risperidone.

shauna999
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM
That is great news
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Yes that is what my 3 year old is on she has Autism and major ADHD...it works great for her...she takes .5 mg 2 times a day.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:11 PM

ciread
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Mine did very well on it for about 2 years, then suddenly started gaining an incredible amount of weight, on the order of 3-5 pounds a month.  She went from 50 pounds to 110 pounds in about a year and we took her off.  She has started Latuda instead and has lost 10 of those pounds in 2 months.  It did great to moderate mood swings, but being overweight as a pre-teen wasn't doing anything for her self-esteem.  I don't know that the Latuda is doing as much to moderate the moods, but then again we're starting to deal with hormones so it may be doing more than I realize.

puck4432
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is on it, but if it lowers the seizure threshold I wouldn't do it.  For us, it seemed to work well at first but leveled off.  They raised the dose but it leveled off again.  Thinking about taking him off of it because it stops working so quickly.

shauna999
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

i just started he meds this morning and i didn't See any changes. i hope this med starts to work. he is soo aggressive and not himself. this just started his past week. right after he had his seizure at school. i just feel extremely lost right now and i don't know what to do.

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Your son had ONE meltdown and your putting him on meds? AND it increases the siezure possibilities?

How can your doctor recommend that? My son is almost 9 - and he's unmedicated and we've dealt with hundreds of meltdowns with out feeling the need to medicate him for autistic behaviors yet.

How bad was his one meltdown that would make you put him on medication at 4? Especially if he's siezure-prone?

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Okay - after reading this - Your seizure doctor needs to work on fixing his siezure medication - i'm guessing the behaviors are more related to his siezure, then autism... so giving a medication that makes him MORE likely to have siezures, sounds like a really, really bad idea.

Quoting shauna999:

i just started he meds this morning and i didn't See any changes. i hope this med starts to work. he is soo aggressive and not himself. this just started his past week. right after he had his seizure at school. i just feel extremely lost right now and i don't know what to do.

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

shauna999
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

my son has drs that take great care of him. i didn't start the med until i took him to see his neurologist. and its not just one melt down. my sons aggression is out of control if i don't see a change then i will take him off. I'm happy you found what works for you. but don't judge me until you have had to deal with what im going threw. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)