Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PDD

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

Is what they diagnosed ds with. Not real sure what it is cept that its on the spectrum but I know I will be doing alot of research on it today.  He starts therapy next week.  Something about adaptive living skills and behavior modification.

Cindy Jean   

nativity   wreath

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LOVEBUG219
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck mom. I myself am waiting to get results for my son. Not sure what pdd is either-will check into though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joel2010
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM

this is where they are thinking my son is in more this way of the spectrum but will know more next month we are told i do not knkow.  but we have been working on things already.  but he had plans in place do to other things he has going on.  our bigest is going to be behavior that we have to work on with our son. and speech

jennafaye_87
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

My 4 year old son is also PDD. It means that he shows a few signs of Autism, but not enough to be considered classic Autistic. For example, my son is only non-verbal and shows repetitive behavior like flapping his hands and repeating the same sounds over and over again. But he is very social and very imaginative. I've never met another child with PDD before. What are your sons symptoms, if you don't mind my asking?

blessedhappymom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was diagnosed with PDD by a neurologists. He has a speech and social adaptive delay, but isn't repetitive. But his pedi doesn't agree. We are set to see a developmental pedi in March. Either way I read everything I can to stay informed. The autism speaks website has a spokesperson named Kerry who was diagnosed with PDD and he has a video blog. When I saw his video, it was the first time that I felt hopefully that my son could grow up and have a 'typical' life. I put the link here...

http://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2012/03/05/20-years-autism-mother-and-son-perspective
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
proudofwyatt
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

PDD is a generic term that is used if there is a developmental delay. (pervasive development disorder) i don't know what the criteria is for the diagnosis, but it covers a huge range of delays.

cindyjean68
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Quoting jennafaye_87:

My 4 year old son is also PDD. It means that he shows a few signs of Autism, but not enough to be considered classic Autistic. For example, my son is only non-verbal and shows repetitive behavior like flapping his hands and repeating the same sounds over and over again. But he is very social and very imaginative. I've never met another child with PDD before. What are your sons symptoms, if you don't mind my asking?

Sure I don't mind at all =).  My son had delayed speach. People other than myself or my other kids could not understand him until he was at least 4. But now he speaks pretty well. He still has some speach impedements but you can understand everything he is saying now. He will be 7 on the 20th, but he sounds more like a 3 or 4 year old talking. He only does the flapping once in awhile, but he does echolalia (repeats things he has heard word for word tone for tone) often. He also has some social issues and sensory issues. He is very bright and scored slightly above average on the IQ test, but he has trouble expressing his thoughts and getting his ideas and knowledge out of his head, if that makes sense.

Cindy Jean   

nativity   wreath

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM

PDD is a name given when the child doesn't have all the requirements for Autism dx. Just to let you know that is about to change. PDD will no longer exist come next March. Your son will be ASD (autism spectrum disorder) . They are changing the criterias for dx. For instance Aspergers will no longer exist. They will be split into either ASD or another disorder. I guess they are trying to make things easier for doctors to dx

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I have two kids diagnosed with PDD-NOS.  It can cover a wide range of issues but basically it means that your kiddo meets 2/3 of the required categories for an autism diagnosis.  Those being 1) speech/language delay, 2) social skills delay and 3) ritualistic behaviors/repetitive behaviors.  My kids both have varying degrees of the first two, and none of the third category, hence the PDD-NOS diagnosis.  I have explained it to family and friends initially as the "diet coke" of autism - you have all the same stuff, just missing ONE little thing (the "calories"). 

My daughter who is nearly 4 is much less severe than my son in terms of language, which actually made her much harder to diagnose which is why she was just diagnosed this past month.  She is happy, has lots of language, but has a lot of trouble answering questions that don't deal with something physically present in her immediate vicinity.  So questions like "why is he sad" or "what did you do yesterday" or "how are these things the same" are very hard for her whereas "where are your shoes" or "whats that" she can answer no problem.  She never used to say "yes" to answer questions like "do you want juice" she'd just echo "want juice!" whereas NO has never been a problem... for her... :)

My had NO words or comprehension of words whatsoever.  He got his diagnosis nice and early at 19 months because the extent of his language deficits was so clearly evident.  Now a year later with 10 hours of ABA a week and 2-3 hours of speech therapy, in addition to a LOT of biomedical interventions (supplements, yeast treatments, vitamins, B-12 shots, the works) at nearly 2.5 years old he has 50+ words and is starting to use two word phrases.  He is very engaged, is his sister's personal minah bird and repeats EVERYTHING she says (fortunately she finds this hilarious, as does he), and is doing great. 

Anyhow, PDD-NOS is very much a catch-all diagnosis which means "this kid is behind in a lot of ways" and it does place the child on the autism spectrum.  It can help make insurance companies pay for unlimited speech therapy as well as ABA, OT, PT, etc. and is a diagnosis serious enough to have the school system take your child's needs more seriously (they blew off my daughter's speech delay but PDD-NOS has them doing a full evaluation... finally).  Mostly it means your child is exactly the same kid you had yesterday, just better exlained to YOU:)

cindyjean68
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Thank you! I love your explanation of "diet coke"! I will have to remember that!

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

I have two kids diagnosed with PDD-NOS.  It can cover a wide range of issues but basically it means that your kiddo meets 2/3 of the required categories for an autism diagnosis.  Those being 1) speech/language delay, 2) social skills delay and 3) ritualistic behaviors/repetitive behaviors.  My kids both have varying degrees of the first two, and none of the third category, hence the PDD-NOS diagnosis.  I have explained it to family and friends initially as the "diet coke" of autism - you have all the same stuff, just missing ONE little thing (the "calories"). 

My daughter who is nearly 4 is much less severe than my son in terms of language, which actually made her much harder to diagnose which is why she was just diagnosed this past month.  She is happy, has lots of language, but has a lot of trouble answering questions that don't deal with something physically present in her immediate vicinity.  So questions like "why is he sad" or "what did you do yesterday" or "how are these things the same" are very hard for her whereas "where are your shoes" or "whats that" she can answer no problem.  She never used to say "yes" to answer questions like "do you want juice" she'd just echo "want juice!" whereas NO has never been a problem... for her... :)

My had NO words or comprehension of words whatsoever.  He got his diagnosis nice and early at 19 months because the extent of his language deficits was so clearly evident.  Now a year later with 10 hours of ABA a week and 2-3 hours of speech therapy, in addition to a LOT of biomedical interventions (supplements, yeast treatments, vitamins, B-12 shots, the works) at nearly 2.5 years old he has 50+ words and is starting to use two word phrases.  He is very engaged, is his sister's personal minah bird and repeats EVERYTHING she says (fortunately she finds this hilarious, as does he), and is doing great. 

Anyhow, PDD-NOS is very much a catch-all diagnosis which means "this kid is behind in a lot of ways" and it does place the child on the autism spectrum.  It can help make insurance companies pay for unlimited speech therapy as well as ABA, OT, PT, etc. and is a diagnosis serious enough to have the school system take your child's needs more seriously (they blew off my daughter's speech delay but PDD-NOS has them doing a full evaluation... finally).  Mostly it means your child is exactly the same kid you had yesterday, just better exlained to YOU:)

Cindy Jean   

nativity   wreath

Siobhan69
by Siobhan on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM

My son was dx with PDD-NOS but he has no speech delay or repetitive behaviors. His only area of concern was his social abilities. I think PDD-NOS is given when there is at least one concern about their abilities compared to their peers. Good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)