Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is what they diagnosed ds with. Not real sure what it is cept that its on the spectrum but I know I will be doing alot of research on it today.  He starts therapy next week.  Something about adaptive living skills and behavior modification.

Cindy Jean   

nativity   wreath

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Replies (11-13):
jennafaye_87
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Oh okay, so if he is 7, is he in 1st grade? Is he able to be in a mainstream class? Also, I am having the hardest time EVER potty training. I've been asking anyone I can with a child on the spctrum for advice, so any advice you could give me would be totally appreciated, lol!

Quoting cindyjean68:

Quoting jennafaye_87:

My 4 year old son is also PDD. It means that he shows a few signs of Autism, but not enough to be considered classic Autistic. For example, my son is only non-verbal and shows repetitive behavior like flapping his hands and repeating the same sounds over and over again. But he is very social and very imaginative. I've never met another child with PDD before. What are your sons symptoms, if you don't mind my asking?

Sure I don't mind at all =).  My son had delayed speach. People other than myself or my other kids could not understand him until he was at least 4. But now he speaks pretty well. He still has some speach impedements but you can understand everything he is saying now. He will be 7 on the 20th, but he sounds more like a 3 or 4 year old talking. He only does the flapping once in awhile, but he does echolalia (repeats things he has heard word for word tone for tone) often. He also has some social issues and sensory issues. He is very bright and scored slightly above average on the IQ test, but he has trouble expressing his thoughts and getting his ideas and knowledge out of his head, if that makes sense.

cindyjean68
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Yes he is in the 1st grade and he is mainstreamed however he does get pulled out couple times a day to another classroom for more one on one teaching. I honestly don't remember that much about how I got him potty trained. He just suddenly one day "got it". He was four though. How old is your son? I do know I didn't use pull ups. I used potty training underwear that he could feel if he was wet. I did that with all my kids though. But one thing I did have to fish several pair out of the toilet because he would try to clean himself up and thought it needed to be flushed like toilet paper...lol.

Quoting jennafaye_87:

Oh okay, so if he is 7, is he in 1st grade? Is he able to be in a mainstream class? Also, I am having the hardest time EVER potty training. I've been asking anyone I can with a child on the spctrum for advice, so any advice you could give me would be totally appreciated, lol!

Quoting cindyjean68:

Quoting jennafaye_87:

My 4 year old son is also PDD. It means that he shows a few signs of Autism, but not enough to be considered classic Autistic. For example, my son is only non-verbal and shows repetitive behavior like flapping his hands and repeating the same sounds over and over again. But he is very social and very imaginative. I've never met another child with PDD before. What are your sons symptoms, if you don't mind my asking?

Sure I don't mind at all =).  My son had delayed speach. People other than myself or my other kids could not understand him until he was at least 4. But now he speaks pretty well. He still has some speach impedements but you can understand everything he is saying now. He will be 7 on the 20th, but he sounds more like a 3 or 4 year old talking. He only does the flapping once in awhile, but he does echolalia (repeats things he has heard word for word tone for tone) often. He also has some social issues and sensory issues. He is very bright and scored slightly above average on the IQ test, but he has trouble expressing his thoughts and getting his ideas and knowledge out of his head, if that makes sense.

Cindy Jean   

nativity   wreath

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM
My son is 9, dxed PDD-NOS/Autism with sever Hyper Activity.
He was dxed at 4. Then he was severely lacking in language, social, sever texture issues, little to no fine motor control, and sever disconnect. Today he speaks a lot better, unless he gets excited, then we have to slow him down, sometimes reverting to pictures or sign language. He is making friends but still prefers to be alone. Texture issues are still around, but not as sever, he no longer needs to wash his hands every five minutes. Fine motor his OT has given up on him. He has a very basic grasp and he will probably never be able to tie his shoes, but honestly, we don't mind. He does much better on touch devices so he works with his ipad mostly. For his disconnect, he still lives 90% of the time in his own world, but has started to invite us in more. He has many other little "quirks" that make him very much himself.

In these past five years, I have never really bothered to look too much into what exactly his dx means. We have been lucky and his schools have worked vey well with him. He is primarily in a pull-out class, joining his general Ed class for unstructured "learning", this being his first year joining for two structured classes, a science and a history. He has an aid that sits with him for those.

I worry about him leaving the elementary school setting, as next year he will move up to the 5th grade. I have no clue how long we will live here, so I don't know how long he will stay in this school district. He does much better with technology and that is one thing this school district lacks badly. I am looking into other therapies for him, but there is nothing close by. I am waiting for the military to sort their insurance issues then I plan on signing him up for the special needs insurance, hoping to get him in social groups and therapies. We never had access to any of that at our last base, so would like to see what is available for him here in the states.

Sorry I am rambling. It is late and the family is watching Bleach, so I am a bit distracted lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN