Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How do you deal with stranger's ignorant comments

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM
  • 25 Replies

I try to plan my errands to be short and have plenty of activities for my 2 year old to do so he doesn't become disruptive.  We went to a few stores and he was fine.  I really needed to get some things at the post office.  The line was about  6 or 7 people.  It was moving so we waiting.  The person in front of us was taking a long time up there and my son became antsy with some random crying and wanting to be held then he wanted to sit on the floor which was filthy so I wouldn't let him.  This ghetto piece of trash behind me said "Mine would have been slapped and in a corner by now" Of course I want to turn around and curse her the hell out because explaining to someone with that low mindset what autism is is probably a waste of my time.   Instead I just hang my head and feel like I want to cry.  My son doesn't stress me out, it is the ignorant comments from others.   This isn't the first time. At another post office the worker who is not a friendly person to begin with looked at me and said "oh God" once when my son was making these "Eek. eek, eek" sounds.   I told her "He is autistic".  She didn't respond at all, no apology, nothing.   In one way I figure people who are treating us like this are worthless anyway but then on the other hand, they need education at a time where 1 in 88 kids are autistic, surely it will hit their own family or friend's some day. 

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM
5 moms liked this
I have only had someone say something Once actually. It was a week ago. I needed my office pens and they only carry them at staples. The cashier was doing some warranty thing so the wait was a bit long. I was distracting ds with item identifications but I ran out of stuff to use. He starts calling this popcorn tin a "drum" and keeps trying to stomp on it.

I can handle my kid. If he can't have, it may be harder to convince him but I don't let him do whatever. Well he started whining and trying to sit on the floor. This chick behind me says under her breath "god control your kid". I kinda flew off the handle. "if you're going to make a comment about someone's kid you should have the cajones to say it out loud. Would you like to tell me it again?"

She wisely declined. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I saw these card that you might like to get, then you can just hand them to someone who gives you a hard time. Here is a link (here)

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Lilbit0700
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM

We were at Resturant I thought our waitress was gone alfulw when MEc when a Meltdown I told her he just beibng dx w/Austim another customer said something very rude well our waitres turn around And said did you just hear sayid he was dx Apsetgar Austim today  in a nice way and told them to read up on. She was so kind. I spoke w/mangaer Iask not fire he goes noway.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I roll my eyes and walk away.

NatureMomof3
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I would say thanks for the advise but I don't abuse my child.

as for the postal worker, I would ask for the name and report to a supervisor. I am big on reporting employees for comments. I've gotten many appologies and hopefully prevented it from happening to other kids.

proudofwyatt
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

you ladies are better people than i am, so far i have not had anyone say anything nast to my son or about him, but when it happens, i may need help hiding a body!  just sayin...

Bluerose1482
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell them that you missed the news bulletin that spanking and/or abuse cures autism.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM

i have been pretty lucky so fat nobody has said anything to me or atleast i didnt hear it. when jayden gets like that where he has absolutly had enought and starts getting fussy.and people look at us like omg control your kid .i tell that that he is devlopmentally delayed. and that useally stops the dirty looks

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I have had people stare and a few comment. I am quick to explain he is autistic and then I walk away. I sometimes want to yell at them when they glare or mutter under their breaths that if they could walk in my shoes and still have the nerve to say something they are more than welcomed. So many people assume that our children are just spoiled and scream cause they aren't getting something their way. They don't realize that the lights of a store, the shopping cart, or even the people are setting off  the tantrums. I get so anxious that I just want to hurry and get my things and leave without anyone looking at us. Then I remember that I have as much right to be there as they do and if they don't like what he is doing then they can just leave. My son has every right to be who he is. I am not going to try to change him to satisfy other people. They can just kiss my ___. Sorry this is just a sore subject with me right now.

CalebsMom81401
by New Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM
You haldled it better than I would have! I would have gotten in her face and told her he has autism and she better educate herself since clearly she is ignorant! I turn into a mama bear really fast when that stuff comes up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)