Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Protection from losing my job?????

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM
  • 21 Replies

If/when we get the diagnosis for my DS, is there anything that can protect my job other than FMLA?? I hven't been at my job for a full year yet, and they are telling me that Medical Leave will not cover family, just employees. I know we are looking at alot of appointments, and treatments and therapies, and I am really concerned that I could lose my job. Anything that is not scheduled at least 2 wks out, whether time made up or not is considered unexcused. I can't afford to lose my job, but I really can't afford to lsoe these appts and let this slide. My DS needs to get on the right track fast!!! Any Advice would be greatly appreciated!!! 

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3mx2mom
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM

All of those therapies are unecessary. He can get them through school. My son made it 10 years without any. He is getting some OT now through the school. Just trying to bring some perspective so that you can keep your job.

cindyjean68
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I don't have any advice but I do know how you feel. I am having to take a lot of time off work too. I am considering applying for disability to help offset the costs.

Kat940
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I think it depends on what problems your child is having. If we didn't have outside therapies my son wouldn't be talking at all. Before we started at the charter school we are at now he was only recieving 20-30 minuties of speech a week. He will be six next week and his skill range from 15 months to 3 years. He has been in ST, OT and PT since he was 2.  So saying a child doesn't need outside services is not always the case it just depends on what each child needs.   

OP I wish I had an idea on how to help with not losing your job. I hope someone has some help for you!! 

MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Fmla allows for leave to help care for a family member. Idk what theyre telling you but it's wrong.

That said, ASD isn't a "disabling" condition that requires your 24/7 care and prevents you from going to work like you were before his diagnosis do his doctor will almost certainly not sign the form you need to claim fmla anyway. Sorry.

Don't frett. Nothing has changed, he's still your LO and no matter how hard you hit it in the therapies/appts progress will be slow coming. Idk what your specifics are but I'd bet the best thing for you to do is NOT change your patterns because the most important aspect to success in therapy is consistency at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Try to negotiate times with the therapists, they are somewhat more flexible I found. I am lucky, I have my own business so I'm able to take time when I need to. I don't think you can force your work to allow you to have time off, unfortuanately many autism moms end up quitting their jobs because of it. Maybe you could change to part time, or just tell them that every week you will need such and such times off. I do think its important to do the therapies if they are available, your son will only be young for so long, he needs help now. I know Violet's speech therapist is willing to go to the school, maybe you can convince them to work with him while he is in daycare/school.

VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I should also mention, though many of the therapies are helpful for giving you tips on what to do, most of the work is done by you at home. We do floortime therapy and use sensory therapies and its just worked into our lifestyle now. An hour or two with a therapist is nothing compared to the hundreds of hours you have with him at home every month. The thing that has helped the most with us is using biomedical therapy and changing my daughters diet and giving supplements, it worked much better and faster than any behavioral therapy we do. A DAN! doctor would help you with that if you are interested. Another good behavioural therapy is called the Son Rise Program, I have heard wonderful things about it. You can be trained to do it yourself at home. Where there is a will, there is a way, you will figure this out!

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

All of the therapies are necessary.  A therapist will discharge the child if the therapy is not needed.  At school,he will get therapy,it depends on how much he gets and how much you want for him.  If my 5 yo ASD DS was not in FTK indergarten ,he'd be in more therapy

Quoting 3mx2mom:

All of those therapies are unecessary. He can get them through school. My son made it 10 years without any. He is getting some OT now through the school. Just trying to bring some perspective so that you can keep your job.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

FMLA does cover you for a family member.  Talk to your boss/human resources.  I am a SAHM still even though my son is in Kindergarten.  I have needed to be with him and take him to appts since he was 15mos old.  Best of luck.

Apsubear
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Hi, I just want to let you know you are not alone and will keep you in my prayers.  I am not sure what your job is but perhaps you could look for something from home?  Before I had by twins and we realize that my baby boy had issues I worked as a Comptroller/HR and if your company offers FMLA then please fill the paperwork out and have the doctors fill it out.  It is in place to allow you time off without pay  to take care of your family not just if you are sick.   Althouh every child is differ my baby boy (he is 4 )  has been helped by therapy he has PT/OT 4 times a week, we are getting ready to start speech and ABA therapy after Christmas.  I agree with the other mom these therapies will also show you what to do at home for your son.  We have incorporated most of the things he does at therapy into our everyday lives and his twin sister has also benefit from them .  Althouh every child is different for us I believe that starting these therapies early and incorporate them at home has helped him to catch up. 

proudofwyatt
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 3mx2mom:

I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT.

my son only gets 60 min per month of OT in school, but we still do private OT. he gets 160 min per month of speech therapy in school, but we continue to do private speech therapy as well because they help him so much.

please don't think that i am judging you on how you are raising your son, but PLEASE don't tell other parents that therapy isn't necessary. if it wasn't necessary, the therapists wouldn't waste their time or yours.  they know how to help kids in ways that most of us do not, they are specially trained to teach kids the skills etc that they will need in life. that's why they have to licensed to do their jobs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN