Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son (11) has been fixating on specific things for as long as I can remember. Usually his fixations last anywhere from a week to a month.  Right now it's scary movies, specifically the Johnny Depp movie "Secret Window". This is more of a thriller than a scary movie. It has nothing that would normally appeal to an 11 year old boy but Ryan just loves it. He watches it any time he gets a chance. Looks up stuff about it on the internet, reads about Johnny Depp and the other actors in it. He's been obsessing over this movie for about 2 weeks. Today he watched the old Scrooge with Alaister Sim. I love it....an 11 yr old boy who will watch an old black and white movie and actually enjoy it. Now he's digging thru his room finding all the copies of "A Christmas Carol" that we've bought him thru the years. And he just gave me an "instruction" that I'm supposed to hit a couple thrift stores tomorrow before work to find any and all issues of "A Christmas Carol" that they have. He'll most likely stay on the Christmas Carol kick until X-mas. After that, we'll see what's next! What kinds of things does your child fixate on? Does it bother you at all?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Replies (41-44):
bugsmama149
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM

My hubby is really in to Dr. Who right now. Of all the shows he's gotten me hooked on, I just can't seem to get into that one. The Walking Dead is on hiatus so he picked that one to start watching (he got them on dvd). I tried but I just can't get into it!

Quoting mali321:

Your kids should love Christmas (if you celebrate) even more this year, with the Doctor Who Christmas special on Cristmas Day (I know that is all I hear and see about lately)!

Quoting puck4432:

My son:  Space for forever.  Legos, kinects, anything he can build.  Doctor Who but I blame myself for that.  Pokemon is the big one right now and it's making me nutsy-cuckoo.

My daughter:  Animals, soft things, littlest pet shop.  Doctor Who but again, I blame myself, and I encourage that one.  Getting obsessed with Pokemon because her brother is.  She seems to be more obsessed with Matt Smith (the 11th Doctor) than anyone else.  Hello Kitty.

CrystalDarling
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM

My son (13) anieme anything Japanese pop culture and his pod cast( about jpop). When he was little turtles, power rangers and scooby doo.

rizer34
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM

barbara (5 years old) likes to take several of a same object like cars, m&ms, xmas omaments and place them in a large bowl and then dump them out and place them in and out ect...lol...she has always done this. she use to lick my tv screen all the time (sensory) she grew out of this stage thank goodness, but moved on to taking an object and tapping on my tv...lol

bugsmama149
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, my son (11) smells everything. And I mean everything. Thank God he doesn't do what he used to do. Back when he was about 5-6 yrs old, when someone would get up from their seat, he'd go smell where they'd been sitting!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh my God, it was mortifying!!! I can look back on that and laugh now but at the time it was horrible.So I suppose he doesn't smell everything now but almost.  I'm kinda the same way with smelling things. Especially different kinds of paper. But honestly, I just like the way paper smells!

Quoting rizer34:

barbara (5 years old) likes to take several of a same object like cars, m&ms, xmas omaments and place them in a large bowl and then dump them out and place them in and out ect...lol...she has always done this. she use to lick my tv screen all the time (sensory) she grew out of this stage thank goodness, but moved on to taking an object and tapping on my tv...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN