Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son (11) has been fixating on specific things for as long as I can remember. Usually his fixations last anywhere from a week to a month.  Right now it's scary movies, specifically the Johnny Depp movie "Secret Window". This is more of a thriller than a scary movie. It has nothing that would normally appeal to an 11 year old boy but Ryan just loves it. He watches it any time he gets a chance. Looks up stuff about it on the internet, reads about Johnny Depp and the other actors in it. He's been obsessing over this movie for about 2 weeks. Today he watched the old Scrooge with Alaister Sim. I love it....an 11 yr old boy who will watch an old black and white movie and actually enjoy it. Now he's digging thru his room finding all the copies of "A Christmas Carol" that we've bought him thru the years. And he just gave me an "instruction" that I'm supposed to hit a couple thrift stores tomorrow before work to find any and all issues of "A Christmas Carol" that they have. He'll most likely stay on the Christmas Carol kick until X-mas. After that, we'll see what's next! What kinds of things does your child fixate on? Does it bother you at all?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
Kellbel08
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM

My daughter watches those videos too! Who knew youtube had that many versions of 5 lil monkey's. She also loves the Wheels on the bus songs! :)

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

We go through phases too, usually for a month or two. Violet is stuck on The 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed song right now. She has found probably 20 versions of it on you tube and sings it all the time. It doesn't bother me though, I'm just happy she's happy, and using her words :)

VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

No way! The Wheels On The Bus is her other current fave! What is it with those songs?!! That is too funny.

Quoting Kellbel08:

My daughter watches those videos too! Who knew youtube had that many versions of 5 lil monkey's. She also loves the Wheels on the bus songs! :)

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

We go through phases too, usually for a month or two. Violet is stuck on The 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed song right now. She has found probably 20 versions of it on you tube and sings it all the time. It doesn't bother me though, I'm just happy she's happy, and using her words :)

Kellbel08
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM

How funny is that!?!  LOL. Ari loves that song. I finally was able to record her singing it.  im so used to hearing these songs that i start to sing them while im cleaning the house haaa.. oh boyyy...  Have you heard of the skeleton dance song or the family finger song? Omgosh those two songs i hear at least 4 times a week lol..

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

No way! The Wheels On The Bus is her other current fave! What is it with those songs?!! That is too funny.

Quoting Kellbel08:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Oh yeah, mommy finger, daddy finger where are you...yep, she likes that one too. I'll have to look up the skeleton dance song, maybe we can get off the bus and the bed for a while...(LOL she just started watching to the wheels on the bus right now! I swear she knows what I'm thinking!)

Quoting Kellbel08:

How funny is that!?!  LOL. Ari loves that song. I finally was able to record her singing it.  im so used to hearing these songs that i start to sing them while im cleaning the house haaa.. oh boyyy...  Have you heard of the skeleton dance song or the family finger song? Omgosh those two songs i hear at least 4 times a week lol..

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting Kellbel08:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Kellbel08
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

That is too funny! Yup that's the song!  I thought i was alone when it came to these songs and the 30 different ways they are played on youtube haha. here is the link to the skeleton dance song. Ari loves it she does the little dance moves to it.. Its soo cute.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpvuqj5nv6U  I hope your lil one enjoys this one too!!

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Oh yeah, mommy finger, daddy finger where are you...yep, she likes that one too. I'll have to look up the skeleton dance song, maybe we can get off the bus and the bed for a while...(LOL she just started watching to the wheels on the bus right now! I swear she knows what I'm thinking!)

Quoting Kellbel08:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Quoting Kellbel08:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

kmama04
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM
My dd is currently on hello kitty and Spider-Man. It hasn't changed in months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DJT721
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

My son is pretty young.  His thing he loves so much though is socks.  he can spend an hour going through is sock drawer matching them, trying them on, taking them off.  My adult sister in law gets obsessions with people or types of people.  Sometimes it is "white haired little girls" as she calls them meaning very blond little girls then it was black baby girls at the time I was pregnant.  She wanted my baby to be a black baby girl.  She didn't understand two white people were not going to make a black baby.   There have also been obsessions with specific people.  Previously one was my husband's best friend, next was a male co-worker, then a woman she worked with and currently a man she sees each week at a karoke bar she goes to every week.  She gets obsessed with their birthdays.  If you say the month they were born in she gets very hyper and excited or if she hears of another person being mentioned with the same name she gets excited as well.  Her people obsessions usually last about a year.

jennafaye_87
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My 4 year old watches How the Grinch Stole Christmas everyday. This isnt anything new just because it's almost Christmas. I showed it to him for the first time last year and he has watched it nearly everyday since then. It's usually when we are eating dinner because it's the ONLY way I can get him to eat his veggies now. I distract him with the Grinch and he eats all the veggies I want him to. Another of his fixations is ice. I have a bottom freezer refrigerator and he can get ice whenever he wants. He eats it all day! Sometimes he just rubs it on his arms or legs or puts it in his nose (lol). On the brightside, however, he gets his daily intake of water just from the ice he eats!

manifer_momma
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Thanks! He's my little scientist:)

Quoting cindyjean68:

Quoting manifer_momma:

Longterm: anything to do with outerspace/earth, and robots . Oh and guitars.

Short term: anatomy of the human body and brain. Kung fu

He's 5.

wow I read that thinking of a 12 year old ...even maybe 10..but 5! Amazing!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amybooks
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM
My 15 year old son loves video games and anything to do with them. Right now it's "skylanders".
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN