Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Any of you mom's have experience with thumb appliance (device surgically placed in mouth) to stop thumb sucking or paci usage?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM
  • 24 Replies

The dentist recommend a device today called thumb appliance that is surgically place in the top of the mouth to stop thumb sucking and paci usage.   I was wondering if any of you ladies have experience with this. 

DS age 4 is on a waiting list to be evaluated but we suspect high functioning autism.  He is in preschool and we are working with OT to try and stop him from using the paci but so far nothing is working.  I feel like this device would be good to stop the paci BUT I worry about how it will affect his behavior since he no longer has that comfort.

Advice?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I find that sort of offensive that a dentist would want to perform surgery just to stop thumbsucking.....
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

is it affecting is teeth?

mommaboudreaux
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I didn't think of it like that until now.

Quoting kajira:

I find that sort of offensive that a dentist would want to perform surgery just to stop thumbsucking.....

mommaboudreaux
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Yes badly :( 

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

is it affecting is teeth?

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all, my daughter used a paci for 3 years, she seemed to really find it soothing and calming, so we allowed it to avoid the meltdowns. I had to put a stop to it when she was going into daycare, because none of the other kids were doing it and I didn't want her to stick out too much. It was time.  SO...we threw them all away! I mean how much easier can it be? You just stop giving it to them! He will get over it, trust me.

Secondly, there are things called Chewelry which help kids with autism to get the oral fix, and they come in shapes that will not be so obviously recognized. Its actually very grounding for some kids to have something to chew on.

I just would never consider that procedure the dentist recommended, to me thats just crazy talk!

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

there is a girl in my son's class that has a necklace that has what looks like a giant round flat eraser(its not that is just how it looks)and when she has an issue she chews on it and it helps her calm down

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Here's the thing - I get that it could be messing up his teeth and in some cases, it can mess up the thumb too pretty permanently.  But he's FOUR.  I sucked my thumb until I was 7, and had to get braces.  Once the braces were on it was no longer comfortable so it stopped.  My teeth got fixed, thumb is fine, no surgery.  You could ask if there is a retainer that could be made for your son because he could wear it just at night and it makes it very uncomfortable to thumb-suck while helping keep his teeth from worsening?  Otherwise I'd say let him have his calming activity until you can replace it with a more functional one. 

mommaboudreaux
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I like this MUCH more!  I am going to talk with the dentist about it and do a lot of research!  Thank you! :)

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Here's the thing - I get that it could be messing up his teeth and in some cases, it can mess up the thumb too pretty permanently.  But he's FOUR.  I sucked my thumb until I was 7, and had to get braces.  Once the braces were on it was no longer comfortable so it stopped.  My teeth got fixed, thumb is fine, no surgery.  You could ask if there is a retainer that could be made for your son because he could wear it just at night and it makes it very uncomfortable to thumb-suck while helping keep his teeth from worsening?  Otherwise I'd say let him have his calming activity until you can replace it with a more functional one. 

mommaboudreaux
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I looked up the Chewelry and I like it, I think it is worth a shot!  We are going to order one for him and see how it goes. 

I felt very uncomfortable from the second my husband told me about it (I was not at the appt).

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

First of all, my daughter used a paci for 3 years, she seemed to really find it soothing and calming, so we allowed it to avoid the meltdowns. I had to put a stop to it when she was going into daycare, because none of the other kids were doing it and I didn't want her to stick out too much. It was time.  SO...we threw them all away! I mean how much easier can it be? You just stop giving it to them! He will get over it, trust me.

Secondly, there are things called Chewelry which help kids with autism to get the oral fix, and they come in shapes that will not be so obviously recognized. Its actually very grounding for some kids to have something to chew on.

I just would never consider that procedure the dentist recommended, to me thats just crazy talk!

mommaboudreaux
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I looked it up and I am much more comfortable with that.  We are going to give it a shot :)

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

there is a girl in my son's class that has a necklace that has what looks like a giant round flat eraser(its not that is just how it looks)and when she has an issue she chews on it and it helps her calm down

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)