Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Can't get my son to eat, can anyone give me advice?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM
  • 32 Replies

My son is 3 years old, he was dx with autism in August.  He has always been a fussy eater but it is getting even worse.  He will only drink milk, no water, juice or anything else.  I am extemey stressed and feeling like a horrible Mom because I can not get him to eat anything.  For an example, the last 2 weeks he has only eaten toast and yogurt.  We have tried  A LOT of different things but he will not eat any of it..  Has anyone else been through this and found something helpful?  

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
puck4432
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I wish I could say yes, but no.  We had to get our daughter on liquid iron because she wouldn't eat any meat at all ever.  She changed her mind when she tasted the iron.

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM

have you tried peidasure it taste like a melted milkshake and comes in several flavors, chocolate,vanilla,strawberry,and banna 

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM
3 moms liked this

I would suggest a Gluten Free Casein Free (GFCF) diet, it may sound crazy because that is all he eats, but that is precisely why you should do it. Often kids with autism have almost an addiction to gluten and dairy containing foods, its creating an opiate like response in his brain, and in turn, he does not want or need anything else. My daughter used to live off of grilled cheese and golfish crackers, until we changed her diet. One week of protesting ended up with her getting hungry enough to try the new foods, and also helped her development and speech immensely, almost immediately. I have a youtube playlist for you to watch if you are interested in learning more, its 90 minutes long,  that is where I first heard about the diet. (here) I do know how you feel, its so hard to do but he really does need to have more nutrients. Watch the video.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

ANW2009
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the link.  Yes I have heard of the diet, I have just been to overwhelmed to start with it.  However, what we are doing is not working so I am willing to try it!  

ANW2009
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Yes I have he won't drink it.  I have even tried tricking him a few different ways but no luck.

shauna999
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:46 PM

my son is 4 he mainly eats meat and drinks milk. i found that its a texture thing. i have tried new things. my son will drink juice sometimes but it had to be cool not cold. he will eat tatter tots but no mashed potatoes. i know its frustrating. buts its just trial and error see what works for him. if you are worry about vitamins. they do sell liquid vitamins u can put in his milk. boost is also great for vitamins and  protein

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
My son was on Carnations Instant Breakfast for a long time. It was his "chocolate milk" drink.
Then he added in chicken nuggets. Later, top ramon. As he got older, he would add more and more food in. There is a lot he still won't eat, so he fixes something he will.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jthompson1976
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM

my daugther went threw she use to drink alot milk  doc told me fine she eat when hungry as long drinking milk                             how about ravoles in can    it is kinda harder for children that young to chew meat  have u tryed chicken  cuting in small peases   my daugther loves frozen chiken breast i just pop 1 in toaster oven w bbq 

diane122
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

We also added carnation instant breakfast to his milk.  We do a lot of raviolis (frozen, cheese), pierogies and pastas, with butter - no sauce.  Mac n Cheese.  He eats a lot more than he used to, so keep trying and give it time.

joyfullem
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Well instead of milk I would give him pediasure and things like that!  My kids are super picky at that age so I would give him things you know he will eat like PB&J or whatever it is he likes.  I love to give my kids fignewton minis because they have a lot of iron in them!  Goodluck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)