Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

coping with stress and tactile issues.

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son is 4.. he is not offically diagnosed but he has tons of the typical symptoms.. worse being tactile issues and stress over change in routine.

At school he struggles a lot.. he has a one on one worker that helps him though. The other day I saw her fighting with him for 5 minutes to give back a peice of foam he had become attached to. It was stressing him out he was screaming and shaking.

This is a constant issue with him.. he finds small items he likes the feel off.. and he gets attached.. sometimes he cannot keep them obviously.

So I sort of thought maybe I could make him a bucket of random textured items, beads, etc.. for him to put on a string to play with for his stress.. do you think this might work?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
marcie1455
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM

God Bless You!  Our children have so many different issues under the 'autism umbrella'  My son hasn't had this exact issue, but what you are saying sounds like a good idea to try!  We all have to follow our insticts when it comes to our children.  

kimber2465
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM

yes!!!!!!!  my daughter hates if her routine is changed!!  when she was little - it was a nightmare some days!!! one of my sister in laws gave her a little bear key chain years ago- that seems do the trick for school.-lol she has one now with a house key on it. now that she is older - it is a little easier but it takes alot of telling her that it is okay for change( she doesn't like to leave the house with out her bed being made, things in their place in her room)

VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Get the diagnosis! Teachers will always be trying to take stuff away and not properly helping him deal until they have the paper that says what he truly needs.

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Oh, you are right on! Putting them on a string so they don't get lost? Great idea.  If you find there are some textures that he really like perhaps you could find several things that are similar so that maybe he can eventually branch out and not get so attached to one thing in particular but be able to accept a replacement? I read somewhere that putting little bits of Velcro on desks or binders or not so obvious places is good for kids who need the sensory input during the day when toys or other objects can't be brought to school.  They can have the soft tape in one area and the stiffer bit on the opposite side of the desk/chair/binder.  What about contacting an occupational therapist or someone like that for ideas.  My son doesn't have this issue so I am not sure who you would ask for advice, but someone on this list will surely know.  Good luck!

Macphee
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Yes!! With him createa  book with various rough and soft textures. There are rubber, flat, circular pads that have plastic spikes used for therapy. My son loves this, it has a flat side, and a side that has these spikes on them. He loves to go barefoot.

A mom also taught me how to do brushing as a stim. Take a soft brush, brush him down his arms, down his legs, almost as you would a dog. Brush his hands and his feet. Also, any massage with warmed lotion in your hands.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I think your idea is a great one. Way to go! I may try this one myself. Thanks for the idea

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)