Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

spd help!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM
  • 6 Replies

my son is a sensory seeker. lately it has been getting more intense. hes now starting to seek oraly (sp?). his grandma is having a hard time understanding all of this. can anyone reccomend a good book to explain it to her in simple terms?

also we are gonna start potty training at the start of the year, im worried he will not wanna wear underwear. we bought him boxers which we havent tried yet and hes worn the typical toddler underwear. he hates those. is there a special kind of underwear that i can buy for him?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
binz322
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:23 AM
My son is a seeker too. Basic book I found helpful and gave to my parents is Understanding your Child's Sensory Signals by Angie Voss. Its a sort read of examples and why they do it and what can help :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

wELL,THE ORAL PART IS EASY,GET HIM"CHEWIES"THERE ARE DIFFERENT(sorry abt caps:)kinds,I order them online.My 5yo ASD DS wants to put everything in his mouth,so I just substitute w/a chewie.

VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

The Out-Of-Sync Child by Carol Kranowicz or The Out-Of-Sync Child Has Fun are good books

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

why not take him to the store to pick ones that he likes the feel of

lucasmadre
by Kari on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Underwear-does he have a super hero he loves. I find they hate to pee on their heros. Make a big deal about it being "big kid" underwear and only for boys, not babies....

No idea for a book but good luck with the potty training, it may take a while but it is soooo sweet when it is done. Try and keep it light and fun. I had a simple reward basket with little $1 things in it-matchbox cars etc. When he peed in the john he got to pick a toy, I was not above bribery.

xo hang in there! 

Hottubgodess
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Very good resource as well as The Out of Sync Child.  I have a High Defensive (Mike - Auditory, Oral and Tactile) with Self Regulation - Oral.  My other boy is a sensory seeker (can come across adhd, crashes, trips, touches everything).  

If it is getting worse, what is causing the anxiety....what changes?  

For your mom - take her to OT. That solved it for my MIL.  :)  She is one of his biggest advocates now. :) I spoke with our OT, and asked her to help. She was more than happy to do so. 

Quoting binz322:

My son is a seeker too. Basic book I found helpful and gave to my parents is Understanding your Child's Sensory Signals by Angie Voss. Its a sort read of examples and why they do it and what can help :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)