• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you've used ABA therapy,

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM
  • 18 Replies
How we're your results? It seems pretty intensive and to be honest, I am burnt out and unsure if I want to proceed with it. He already gets speech, Ot and PT at school. ABA would be home based. I have 2 other children and will be working full time come January. The youngest has some severe food allergies I am dealing with right now and I just don't want to add to my already full plate unless it will be extremely beneficial.

How soon did you see results or behavior changes in your child with asd?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lfig720
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

My 2 year old son started Early Intervention back in the first week in October, they gave him OT, ST, and a developmental teacher who does ABA with him.  The ABA is only 5 hours a week, and he is on a waiting list to get an additional 4 hours in a hospital close to home where there are also other children.  He was just diagnosed by a developmental ped for having symptoms consistent with Classic Autism (although they won't really officially diagnose him yet, because of his age.)

Well before ABA, he didn't make eye contact, didn't point, didn't follow any simply direction like sit down/sit up, wouldn't interact with other people or kids, and didn't say any words.  Now it's only been three months, but he points to anything he wants, makes good eye contact, responds more than 50% of the time to his name, has expressed some interest in other people and kids, and I feel like he actually understands me alot...still not talking or imitating (he doesn't wave hi or bye for example).  I am very happy with the progress he's made, but on the other hand I have known people where ABA took alot longer to see any results.  And although I don't know anyone who was unhappy with it,  I am sure there are people who didn't like ABA or didn't think it worked for their child.  But from my end, I am very happy and hopeful.

Jenalide
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM

We had 10 hours of free ABA through our state birth to 3 program, and after a few months, we quit and found something new that worked much better.  His current therapists really feel that ABA was not good for our son.  They said they felt that they "de-programed" him for the first 2 weeks they worked with him.  He really liked and still likes to do things over, and over, and over... so the repetative part of ABA was not good for him.  He also struggled most socially, and the small social therapy group he is in is having much greater results for him.  While I know the program can do wonders for some kids... I think it depends on the child, and the effectiveness of the person carrying out the program. 

princess_1983
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM

My 5 year old has been in ABA therapy for 2 years. He has improved so much. It took a couple weeks for him to get used it the program. He gets 6 hours of therapy twice a week at home.

JakesMommy527
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Quoting Jenalide:

We had 10 hours of free ABA through our state birth to 3 program, and after a few months, we quit and found something new that worked much better.  His current therapists really feel that ABA was not good for our son.  They said they felt that they "de-programed" him for the first 2 weeks they worked with him.  He really liked and still likes to do things over, and over, and over... so the repetative part of ABA was not good for him.  He also struggled most socially, and the small social therapy group he is in is having much greater results for him.  While I know the program can do wonders for some kids... I think it depends on the child, and the effectiveness of the person carrying out the program. 

What are you doing now that's better? Just curious, ABA seems to be getting stressful for my DS and am curious to find out new therapies.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

We get 10 hours of ABA a week and I have noticed a big difference in my son. He gives eye contact better, follows directions more, screams less when we have to do out of house activities. He has gotten better at requesting things by pointing or bringing things to me. He was pretty non verbal before and now says some things and will repeat most on  command. I love our ABA. She trully loves her job. You can hear the excitement in her voice with each accomplishment he makes. I would recommend an ABA but that is just my opinion. Have heard other mothers say that it just didn't work for them.

KatyTylersMom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

ABA has been wonderful for our son.  He's been getting ABA for a year now, first the state started him off with only 4 hours, but now he receives 10 a week, 2 a day.  For Tyler it's basically teaching him how to be a kid.  That means at it's most basic level, how to pay attention to cool stuff and play with it.  That involves eye contact, responding ot his name so mommy can show him the cool stuff, learning how to point and communicate which cool stuff he wants next, naming the cool stuff with words, learning how to take turns playing with the cool stuff, etc. 

I will say that we have done heavy diet changes to eliminate allergens and a lot of vitamin and supplements to support our son's immune system as well as fungal and antibiotic treatments to get rid of the bad yeast and bacteria that were taking over his gut.  Every time we do a new medical intervention his speech and ABA therapists rave about his progress, but I do not feel the medical stuff would have been enough without the ST/ABA and vice versa. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I personally love ABA

I pay out of pocket for it right now 2hrs a week

Mrs.Burrow
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

My 4 year old just started receiving ABA in Oct and we already see huge results. He gets ABA in home and at school and it is wonderful!!! I worry about the time when he wont qualify for it :-(. 

Autism is what he has NOT who he is!!!jigsaw ribbon

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

If you don't like ABA, i would look into floortime.

Actually, the type of ABA that is used for my son right now looks a lot like floortime (but don't tell them that)

ABA and floortime are supossedly anti-each other but they have borrowed from each other a lot over the yrs.

For example, rt now my son is doing more "NET" - natural environment training, etc.

If you do a google search on aba and floortime, you'll see what i mean

hugs mom

Jenalide
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JakesMommy527:

Quoting Jenalide:

What are you doing now that's better? Just curious, ABA seems to be getting stressful for my DS and am curious to find out new therapies.

He now goes to a program 3 hours a day, 5 days a week with a seech pathologist and an OT.  He is in the morning program, and they only take up to 3 kids at a time.  They work on speech, OT, Sensory integration, and behavior therapy.  They also have training in Floortime, and a feeding therapy... which I can't remember the name of.  The thing we like most about it is that he has to use what he is learning in a group setting with other kids.  It has really helped him socially with others! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)