• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello All,

I am so happy to have found this group!  I need you! lol

My fiance has a 12 year old non-verbal Autistic daughter.  I am learning that she is considered "severely" autistic by professionals.  She lives in Hawaii with her mother and we are in Florida.  5000 Miles Away!  The plan was for her to move here after my fiance finishes school but her mother called last week and told him to come get her right away.  He is flying home tonight with her and I am so nervous and unprepared!

I am trying to read and learn all that I can in a very short period of time. I want to make the transition as smooth as possible for all of us.  (I have a 6 year old daughter also =)  Does anyone have suggestions about how to introduce myself and my daughter to her in a way that won't be overwhelming?  I don't want to push her to soon but want her to know we care about her.

On top of her moving, I am trying to plan for Christmas for us.  Can anyone out there give me ideas for presents for my new Autistic daughter?  All I know is that she enjoys music, looking through phone books, the feel of kidney beans and swimming.  She loves to watch TV and videos but I would really like to find interactive things for her to do rather than her just sitting in front of the screen most of the time. 

I could go on and on and ask a million questions but I will save those for other posts!

Thanks so much in advance.  I look forward to getting to know you all.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
binz322
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Welcome to the group! I am sure you will get some great tips and ideas on here. We are just starting our journey with our 2 year old. So I don't really have any good advice. Reading as much as you can on Autism is a really good start though. That is the stage I am in as well :)  Good luck!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Welcome to the group, we're glad you found us too!  If she doesn't have one, she might enjoy a tablet for some of the apps on it.  Many of the moms here will suggest an iPad.

Good luck!

Quoting fsugirl74:

Hello All,

I am so happy to have found this group!  I need you! lol

My fiance has a 12 year old non-verbal Autistic daughter.  I am learning that she is considered "severely" autistic by professionals.  She lives in Hawaii with her mother and we are in Florida.  5000 Miles Away!  The plan was for her to move here after my fiance finishes school but her mother called last week and told him to come get her right away.  He is flying home tonight with her and I am so nervous and unprepared!

I am trying to read and learn all that I can in a very short period of time. I want to make the transition as smooth as possible for all of us.  (I have a 6 year old daughter also =)  Does anyone have suggestions about how to introduce myself and my daughter to her in a way that won't be overwhelming?  I don't want to push her to soon but want her to know we care about her.

On top of her moving, I am trying to plan for Christmas for us.  Can anyone out there give me ideas for presents for my new Autistic daughter?  All I know is that she enjoys music, looking through phone books, the feel of kidney beans and swimming.  She loves to watch TV and videos but I would really like to find interactive things for her to do rather than her just sitting in front of the screen most of the time. 

I could go on and on and ask a million questions but I will save those for other posts!

Thanks so much in advance.  I look forward to getting to know you all.

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Have you thought about getting a sand tabel for her, and intead of sand, filling it with beans?

fsugirl74
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Thanks!  An ipad is certainly on the list! Any apps you recommend?

fsugirl74
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

That's a really great idea.  I will look for sand tables today.  She is doing very, very well so far. Thank goodness!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Quoting kajira:

Have you thought about getting a sand tabel for her, and intead of sand, filling it with beans?

lol

I bought a sensory table for my son, but i bought a cheepie one and put rice and beans in it

Rice and beans are all over my floor. even after i cleaned up, i keep findig the rice and the beans

Next time,  i think i'll use the bath tub lol

VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I would recommend some good websites for sensory toys, but you definitely wouldn't get them by Christmas now. I would suggest you find a big squishy bean bag chair for her, its very comforting. Little things that remind her of Hawaii might help.  I would get a swing if you don't have one already. Really tactile things, things you can hold in one hand are good for stress, like those little spiky rubber balls, you can find them at dollar stores. Things to delight the senses. A big yoga ball is great to bounce on, or a mini trampoline. A glitter lava lamp or disco ball. I would get a little plaque with her name on it for her bedroom door, so she feels like its her space. Give her lots of time to adjust, be patient and loving, don't yell, and stay calm as much as possible. Here is a list of some great apps for the iPad. (link) Good luck!

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)