Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEP and a DX?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM
  • 3 Replies

So it's that time again. It's time to update my 6 year-old's IEP again. I have been pushing the school to evaluate for Autism and to re-evaluate  for OT. I know they have started the evaluation for ASD and according to the 2 teacher reports he falls inline for a DX of Asperger's. I want to get the school to DX rather than get the medical DX due to the insurance complications. We have has the ADHD DX since he was 3 but I know there is more going on for this poor little guy.

He wants so badly to make friends it is just so hard for him. Good or bad he doesn't see when kids are laughing at him rather than with him, it is so hard as a mom to let things he misses go. I am talking about strangers, kids at a playground trying to avoid the "weird" kid, he is too loud and to enthusiastic and has to control the situation.

Just stressing out about what is the best thing to do for my little man.  

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Lilbit0700
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

SChool leagly cannot dx a disorder.

ruthallen
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:20 PM

http://www.autism-society.org/about-autism/diagnosis/

"An educational determination, in contrast, is made by a multidisciplinary evaluation team comprised of various school professionals. The evaluation results are looked at by a team of qualified professionals and the parents to determine whether a student qualifies for special education and related services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (Hawkins, 2009)."

I know they can not provide a medical DX, but they can determine if he qualifies for additional special education support which is what I want. I do not want a medical DX because then the insurance may not pay for the behavior program he has participated in and may need again in the future. Also in contrast the school doesn't have to accept a medical DX.

Quoting Lilbit0700:

SChool leagly cannot dx a disorder.

Lilbit0700
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Okay here they will not dignose a child to mant law suits here they wil test for special education to see if they need that also you can do a 504 plan. I use teach Special ed also my lil guy is Aspergar and other stuff they will give the test and said get  formal dx

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)