Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EEG/Biofeedback Therapy

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM
  • 6 Replies
I was researching ABA therapy and came across this therapy. I read some articles, but they were vague. When my son saw the neurologist, we were told he had an abnormal right brain wave and that was what was causing his speech delay and was diagnoised with PDD. DS primary doctor said he wanted DS to been seen by a development pedi and he would use this doctors diagnosis. Anyway, does anyone have experience with this? Or can you enlighten me a little bit on the process?

Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Lilbit0700
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM

weha ve begun Neoufeedback it is working with our son.Also Biofeedback.

blessedhappymom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM
We pay $150 a week for OT and ST. I don't think our new insurance plan will cover. Is it expensive?

Quoting Lilbit0700:

weha ve begun Neoufeedback it is working with our son.Also Biofeedback.

Lilbit0700
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM

You know you can get all therapies like ot,pt and st though the public schools for free. The dr can tell what insurance will accept.  Right now we pay out of pocket .There are scholarship for treatments and therapy though Austim Speak and Austims society.

blessedhappymom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Thank you for the scholarship info. I had a bad experience with the public schools. When I called to get info they had no idea what I was talking about. Then I was referred to one person who referred me to another person, who referred me back to the first person. I live in a San Antonio and this district is one of the largest so we just decided to go private.

Quoting Lilbit0700:

You know you can get all therapies like ot,pt and st though the public schools for free. The dr can tell what insurance will accept.  Right now we pay out of pocket .There are scholarship for treatments and therapy though Austim Speak and Austims society.

NatureMomof3
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Not all kids on the spectrum can get OT at school. Where I live there is no sensory therapy for public school OT, it is only for handwriting, etc. My son is in private school but when I looked into public school, he does not qualify for OT because he can do his school work with no problems (in fact he's several grades ahead). However, he could never function in a big, loud public school classroom. The gifted program is a joke and he would be completely bored in the special ed classroom because they just don't have enough staff to give him work that is hard enough. They also do not have social skills groups for high functioning kids. I know many people who do private ST and school ST because the school ST is not enough. Also the only ABA type therapy at school is in the preschool. 

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

this - our school is obligated to help with stuff like this in our district, even if we homeschool, HOWEVER  he's not academically struggling, so he doesn't qualify for school services because that's what gets them the services... failing academically, and they'll pull them out to work with them to catch them up, etc. being academically ahead means no one beleives he needs help or services through the district and it wasn't worth the fight... they fly in an OT every 3 months, and it wasn't worth the hassle, paperwork, etc, to see someone every few months for an hour.

Quoting NatureMomof3:

Not all kids on the spectrum can get OT at school. Where I live there is no sensory therapy for public school OT, it is only for handwriting, etc. My son is in private school but when I looked into public school, he does not qualify for OT because he can do his school work with no problems (in fact he's several grades ahead). However, he could never function in a big, loud public school classroom. The gifted program is a joke and he would be completely bored in the special ed classroom because they just don't have enough staff to give him work that is hard enough. They also do not have social skills groups for high functioning kids. I know many people who do private ST and school ST because the school ST is not enough. Also the only ABA type therapy at school is in the preschool. 

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)