Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hi

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM
  • 5 Replies
so, I'm rather new. I lurk but thats it. I have 2 children who are in the process of diagnosis. they believe my oldest (3 1/2) has asbergers(sp?) and my middle son(20 months) may be autistic.
oldest - jack, is in speech therapy an is doing wonderful.
second son is cael. he has a hearing test on the 28th, he is in a program called babies can't wait here in GA. I know the want him in behavioral and speech therapies. I'm worried about him the most. he has no words at all, he has this scream that he upses for communicating. he seems to seek out textures but then becomes over stimulated and freaks out. I have noone to talk to. I'm not even sure of what I should be doing for them. I'm just overwhelmed about everything.
I'm just rambling now. not even sure why I posted lol. I think I just need others t talk to who have been in my shoes.
if you read all that, thanks :) BTW: I am kylynn. nice to meet you all!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Lilbit0700
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM

It is hard glad you are found out early and get help they need.

megandwade
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Hi ! Nice to meet you! I'm Megan. My son is 22 months and he is also non verbal and has sensory issues with textures etc. It is very difficult sometimes having a non verbal little one so I understand completely! Have you tried using sign language? Things have gotten so much easier after my son starting using signs! And once he figured out he could use them to communicate he started picking them up so quickly! We're up to about 17 different signs now! We are also in the process of diagnosis. At first I was really focused on getting a diagnosis but now I'm not in such a hurry. I figure as long as we are getting all the therapies, involved in the programs, and doing everything in our power to help our son improve a diagnosis isnt so important. For us the therapies he is receiving are the same weather we have a diagnosis or not so it doesnt make much difference...

VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Hi Kylynn,

Welcome, and just take things day by day. Post questions as much as you need to, everyone here has had a different experience, so everyones opinion is helpful. You will figure this out. It is overwhelming but you are on the right track. Reading a ton of books about autism helped me figure out where to start. 

I think its pretty common for our kids to not be talking at that age, it will come, or it might not, most importantly is to encourage him to be the most he can be and overcome his limitations with your love, acceptance and encouragement.

My daughter Violet is 4 and she has just started speaking in the last 6-9 months, we are working on conversation still, but I know she will get there. Using PECS picture cards have really helped us.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Welcome to the group Kylynn!

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Welcome to the group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)