• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which is the best route to take?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM
  • 7 Replies

When it comes to Aspergers and fits; is it best to do what you can to avoid what causes fits or is it best to face the problem head on to get them over it? For example; my dd cannot stand the way jeans fit. She is insanely particular about the way things fit. She often throws many screaming fits in the morning about how sumthin is too tight or feels weird. Jeans are the biggest issue. I have been trying to keep her in leggings and sweats. Well and she has two pairs that she will wear but they are so loose they look as though they are about to fall off. I am considering going out to buy her some more leggings and sweats since she doesnt have many. I guess I should note as soon as she gets home, no matter what kind of bottoms she is wearing, she will take them off. So what is the best route to take? Thanks in advance!

Sky Gators in the World of Tommorrow

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bluerose1482
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM

My NT daughter is picky about her clothes.  If jeans aren't too big she complains that they are too tight.  When I buy her clothes I just let her try everything on, which she likes to do anyway.  If she doesn't like the way it fits, feels, looks, rustles, smells, etc. we don't buy it.  IMO life is too short to fight over clothes.

Edited to add:  For my aspie son I buy one pair of jeans and he tries them on at home.  If he likes them I buy more just like it.  If he doesn't I exchange them for a different style.  He's happy wearing basically the same thing every day.  So, four of the exact same jeans and a couple of styles of shirt that he likes in a couple colors each and he's happy until he out grows them.  During the summer we do the same thing with shorts. 

KatyTylersMom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM

IMO buy her what she likes.  If she hates jeans then she can wear other pants and if sweatpants are looking sloppy and will get her teased mercilessly, try on maybe the "jeans" that are pretty much lycra so they stretch with you, or leggings, khakis, or skirts (long short, w/e they'll be soft and non-binding).  My husband hated jeans as a kid and wore sweats every single day.  He caught a LOT of crap about it from the kids at school so around 11 he sucked it up and started wearing jeans.  Today he works at a game company where the dress code is pretty much "uh please wear some form of clothing.  Thanks" so he wears his jeans and t-shirt to work everyday and as SOON as he's one foot in the door the jeans are gone and he's in his comfy sweatpants:) 

TLDR:  some people hate pants, let them pick which pants they hate the least that are socially acceptible to you and your kid:)

imultracool
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM
The sweats she likes are the nice ones with designs on them not just the plain ones like at Walmart. You know, the sweats suits. They're pretty big here at the moment so being made fun of is not an issue. But as far as fits in general, is it best to try and avoid what causes them or no?

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

IMO buy her what she likes.  If she hates jeans then she can wear other pants and if sweatpants are looking sloppy and will get her teased mercilessly, try on maybe the "jeans" that are pretty much lycra so they stretch with you, or leggings, khakis, or skirts (long short, w/e they'll be soft and non-binding).  My husband hated jeans as a kid and wore sweats every single day.  He caught a LOT of crap about it from the kids at school so around 11 he sucked it up and started wearing jeans.  Today he works at a game company where the dress code is pretty much "uh please wear some form of clothing.  Thanks" so he wears his jeans and t-shirt to work everyday and as SOON as he's one foot in the door the jeans are gone and he's in his comfy sweatpants:) 

TLDR:  some people hate pants, let them pick which pants they hate the least that are socially acceptible to you and your kid:)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyRJ
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM
My ASD son doesn't like jeans. He takes them off the minute he gets home from doing anything.
Just let her wear what she likes wearing.

Also maybe try picking clothes out at night so it's not a battle in the morning. It may keep her calm about it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Choose your battles, if its important, like keeping her safe, or her not hurting others, then save the battles for those times. Clothing choice is not worth a battle over, in my opinion.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this

As far as clothing, I let my son decide what's comfortable to him. He likes a certain kind of jean so thats what I buy.,...he also refuses to wear long sleeve shirts so I never buy those either. Its just not worth it to fight over...get out and buy more leggings! LOL

KatyTylersMom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I mean if it was to the point where she wore NO clothes then yes, it matters.  But if you or I dislike the feel of a sweater or shirt we just don't buy it and never think twice.  So I'd say as long as she is clothed in relatively age appropriate stuff don't sweat it.  If in the future she gets an office job and has to wear suits and is struggling with giving up the sweats then you can address it:)  And in the meantime maybe some sensory integration OT aimed at tactile defensiveness would help AND be covered by insurance! 

Quoting imultracool:

The sweats she likes are the nice ones with designs on them not just the plain ones like at Walmart. You know, the sweats suits. They're pretty big here at the moment so being made fun of is not an issue. But as far as fits in general, is it best to try and avoid what causes them or no?

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)