Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has anyone put their child on abilify, if so how did it work out for your child?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM
  • 5 Replies
my sons child physciatrist just took my son off of resperidone and put him on abilify and i am very worried about it i would like to hear some peoples luck with this drug and their autistic child
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
grace1973
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

My daughter briefly took it (6 mos), but I was too worried about the idea of permanent tics that could result from the medication.  While she has no physical tics as a result, she did develop a verbal tic.  My daughter has been back on the risperdal for a few years now and I deeply, deeply regret that we ever tried anything else. 

hwifeandmom
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM

My daughter started using Abilify 3yrs ago, when she was 14yrs (she has Asperger's and a mood disorder).  We have had only positive experiences with it. We have tried other drugs with varying success.  Abilify has been the one constant drug for us so far.   I'm sure everyone has a slightly different experience, but ours has been positive.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

My son isn't on any meds, so I can't offer any advice.  Hopefully some of the other moms here will be able to help.

Quoting nickysboyzach:

my sons child physciatrist just took my son off of resperidone and put him on abilify and i am very worried about it i would like to hear some peoples luck with this drug and their autistic child

firefly63701
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM

My ds's dr. did the same thing a few yrs ago.  He didnt have any problems with it but it just didnt work as well.  The reason we changed meds was because of his rapid weight gain on risperdone.  He went back on it just on a lower dose.

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Dec. 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

My daughter with aspergers (11 yrs old) has a lot of anxiety and has had problems with depression.  She tried one dose of Ambilify and refused to take another dose.  It dramatically effected her sleep- insomnia.  She is very sensitive to medications.  Rispirdone worked for about 6weeks before causing severe stomach issues.  Right now she is on buspar.  There are side effects but it does help her anxiety. Sometimes she will go 6 months without medications but the holidays are always bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)