Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you trust Phds and Mds?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello everyone,

I would really like to know about your experiences with psychologists and doctors. Do you trust in everything your pediatrician or behaviorists say? Did you question your child's dx? I am getting confused( and I am sure I am not alone) about the different opinions of doctors.

We are very blessed with our kids; and they are giving us a unique purpose in life. However, no matter how many books and articles I am reading , I keep having the feeling that I do not have the right tools to help my child in the way I want to.

Do you feel the same?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think my daughters diagnosis is wrong, I was the one who figured it out in the first place, it was just confirmed by the doctor. And then I was told I could choose from 3 kinds of medication, one for anxiety, one for depression or one for hyperactivity. My daughter had just turned 4! It just didn't sit right with me, I said no way, good day, and never went back. I did a ton of research and changed her diet and got a dan doctor and its been the best possible thing I could have done. Its not the "accepted" way that pediatricians treat autism, but dan doctors are experts in autism, and they have been treating autism naturally since as far back as 1967 I think. My dan doctor is totally different from a regular doctor, she treats the person as a whole, not just symptoms. She actually listens to me, when I see her we usually talk for 2 hours about my daughter, and we've done testing for nutrition and what toxins she has in her system. I feel like its the future of where autism treatment is going, but its not mainstream yet. Its working for my daughter.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Well - Our son was diagnosed with autism but we knew something else was probably going on, but it was a starting point.

Now, i'm not so sure he's autistic at all and neither are his doctors, but the reality is alot harder to find a solution for than autism - so while I work with his doctors and try my best, I also set boundaries and limits, I'll try things they may not fully agree - and I'm willing to put my foot down about things that i'm uncomfortable with.

medicine for me was a last resort - and I still wish I had other options for him, but don't at this time.

I really feel that mental health issues, are a guessing game. they really don't understand much about the brain and what it's capable of.... So, they are more than likely going to make mistakes, or not even have the answers for every person because every person is so different.

kmama04
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM
I am fairly comfortable with ours. All the doctors and therapists we have work together and meet up monthly to discuss how our dd is doing. They also know I would rather use medicine as a last resort.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KatyTylersMom
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I think any doctor who tells you that they are positive about ANYTHING regarding autism is suspect, and most doctors do not like to admit a lack of knowledge about anything.  So take what you need from them be it a diagnosis to get services, treatments that may help resolve underlying physical illnesses, prescriptions for therapies, etc. and then go read more yourself.  No doctor will likely be as interested in your child as you are, YOU educate you and then enlist your doctors to guide, assist, and add to your plans for your child. 

TheJerseyGirl
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 5:46 AM
1 mom liked this

While doctors are super smart and have studied it all, I value the opinion of a mom who's already been thru what I'm going thru now. No one knows my child better than I do, except another mother of an autitistic child!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)