Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Mean Kids

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM
  • 4 Replies

I feel so angry.  My son feels like he doesn't have any friends.  When he is placed in a group in class, I'm just learning that he is excluded.  I don't know how to help him.  He is very tall for his age and he is awkward.  I have allowed him to participate in sports so he can make friends, but they too just look at him like he is from another planet.  He tries so hard.  I don't know what to do.  I don''t know where I should start with getting him help with his social skills.  His school testing just revealed that his has autism.  I suspected that he had Aspergers.  He was diagnosed with motor dyspraxia.  Help!!! Does any one have any suggestions?  He's an only child.

by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Hi there, welcome to the group.

Does he have an IEP?  Many schools can provide some help with learning social skills.

Quoting Ronnie838:

I feel so angry.  My son feels like he doesn't have any friends.  When he is placed in a group in class, I'm just learning that he is excluded.  I don't know how to help him.  He is very tall for his age and he is awkward.  I have allowed him to participate in sports so he can make friends, but they too just look at him like he is from another planet.  He tries so hard.  I don't know what to do.  I don''t know where I should start with getting him help with his social skills.  His school testing just revealed that his has autism.  I suspected that he had Aspergers.  He was diagnosed with motor dyspraxia.  Help!!! Does any one have any suggestions?  He's an only child.

Ronnie838
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Yes. We just received the IEP. However he attends a private school so most of the support recommended is not available at his school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bluerose1482
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM
My son has a hard time relating to his peers. So, I encourage him to take a game or a ball for recess. He still doesn't have what I would consider a friend, but he always has someone to play with at recess. He was taking a ball or frisby. Lately he has been taking cards, which he seems to like better. He also has a few small travel sized games that he sometimes takes, checkers, sorry and trouble. I also let him take cookies or snack cakes or something like that. He usually packs enough to share with whoever he ends up playing with. I do have to spend a little extra on snacks, but sometimes other kids bring snacks and share too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

What about something like boy scouts, 4H, a church youth group? If he can practice socializing outside of school in a group where he has to participate, then maybe he will feel more confident to do it on his own. Something like swimming might help his motor functions improve, so that he could get into a school sports eventually. I have a link here to treat dyspraxia, if you're interested (link)

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN