Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son is 9 years old as of December 9th, 2012.  He has had quite the developmental and medical history. He was born premie; 13 weeks early. Developmental delays were apparent by 6 months old. He began having seizures at 11 months old. ADHD symptoms were obvious by preschool. He continues to have these issues today. He has yet to be diagnosed with ADHD, but does recieve medication. He was just diagnosed within the last year with PDD-NOS & Moderate Intellectual Disability.Today, most of his development is that of a 2 year old, and he has behavior issues that reflect that. :)

My son is an incredibly sweet kid. Very charming and can be incredibly funny. As with many kids with his type of disabilities, he doesn't have much recall. He needs step by step instruction daily for most things, such as bathroom duty & washing in the bath/shower. I've incorporated PECS visuals for his bathroom routine, but just recently he is neglecting to even turn on the light before peeing all over the toilet in the dark! So my own personal issue here is that I have lost faith that my dear, wonderful boy CAN & will grow and learn. I am not expecting 100% independence. I am just meaning, the babysteps we work with our children on daily basis. I need motivation and my faith restored that it is worth it to work with my boy, and not just feeling defeated and frustrated everyday.

On a similar note, my son is repetative in his play. He loves to cook and anything related to kitchen play are things he can do ALL day. It is extremely amusing to me, and I am so proud of him. Cooking is the only area where he is really creative. However, he does get stuck in doing the same thing over and over. Other areas of play, he is not too imaginative, but he does enjoy trucks, and his favorite vehicle is the bus; specifically the stop sign on the bus. ;) I love that he has such strong interests, but I've found that I have almost no interest in taking part in them. On a daily basis, I have no idea what to do with him to spend quality time with him. He invites me to "watch" him cook, and he wants to offer me food and such, and coming from a preschool background, this is great, but it is literally all he does, and I haven't felt too obligated to take part in it recently.

I would really like some compassionate motivation, suggestions, advice, and maybe even your own stories in how you interact with your Extra-Special child on a daily basis. It would be really helpful to get a lil boost in enjoying my amazing boy again. Thank you all in advance.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Replies (11-18):
Alma4Mom
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM

feel better momma he is one beautiful kiddo

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM

hugs

terri-553
by Terri on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

He is adorable reminds me of my Thomas (my grandson)he is 10,I keep him almost everyday,Maybe finding someone to come in/help would be good for you.I alway wonder what will happen to Thomas when I am not here.And sometimes when it becomes it becomes time to have soceer/baseball signups,I miss it for Thomas.Otherwise he is our Angel,we love him as is.As you do.You just need a little break-extra help.Hang in there it will be okay,step back take a deep breath,look for an afternoon/2 aweek-offgroup hug

Shardep
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM
If you haven't you should read emergence: labeled autistic. Its a very encouraging book, and there is a good autistic potty training book,i can't remember the name but it helps break doWn potty issues from the Childs point of view. And helps establish and helps keep good routines, i think its potty traini.g for autism volume 2. Good fortune to you in the new year!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crossnlilly
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I know its hard but don't loose your faith. Miracles happen everyday. I try to remind myself when things get overwhelming for me that they are even more overwhelming for my daughter but she continues to fight so I have to fight harder too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cpilz1965
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:29 AM

i myself went thru this with my daughter she does not have adhd but i can relate took care of allot of children with it just keep doing what you are doing it is rough times right now i myself have gone thru all this and did not have any answers what was wrong with my wonderful daughter who is 27 now and it took a long time to see any growth but she did do do it its very hard your are doing the right thing regression does happen but you have to stick to routine you are doing he will still have relapses but wait it will happen i found that by getting a councilor for myself was a good thing it help me help me i did go on some med for depression for awhile but that's ok believe me when it happens it will be wonderful keep your strength it is hard wake everyday as a new day leave yesterday away and start new today . he will amaze you soon just keep you steghth and your faith hugs

cindyjean68
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM

In my area we have a program called Stone Soup. I just discovered it. It's at a local church and they offer respite services. Your child can go there for a few hours while you get some shopping done, or just take a long hot bubble bath (thats what I do most times). My ds loves it. They have crafts, games, snack. They have adults and teenage volunteers. My son got with a teenage boy that I think is and Aspie and they really related. He can't wait to go again. It's once a month and costs $5 to go. You can't hire a babysitter for $5 for just one hour. They are there 3 hours! But check into it see if you have something similiar in your area. Google Stone Soup. 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM

What is that saying- It takes a villiage! We all need help and there is no shame in that. Sounds like you have lots of love in your family and in the end that is the most important thing.  xoxoxoxox

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)