Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

support groupa

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM
  • 2 Replies

HI

My 14 year old son is a high functioning child who was diagnosed with PDD -NOS - so on the high functioning end of the spectrum, similar to Asperger's.  He is a sweet, smart kid and is in regular ed, with some aide and learning center support, as well as private therapies.

He has had a really hard time establishing friendships, though he loves being around other kids - he is often not able to sustain and engage in social interactions with "regular ed" kids.  Are there any support networks to connect him with other kids like himself that might have similar interest - heavy metal music, playing guitar, computers and all apple devices, making videos and skateboarding?

Likewise, my son has a 12 year old sister who has a hard time dealing with some of his challenges.  I think she needs to connect with siblings of other special needs kids, who can relate and empathize with her.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
AL

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I would go to the head of your special ed department and see if she/he could connect you with anyone else in your school that might fit the bill, maybe there is another family or families right in your town...if not then I am sure they could direct you to near by support groups or other ways you might meet up with other families dealing with the same issues for both your kids. I was so surprised how many local things are offered once I started looking into it...

Good luck and welcome to the group! xo

PS With the interests your son has I can't imagine that he won't be able to find pals, he sounds like a pretty cool kid! Our school psychologist just started a social group that meets once a week (my son just started going) and they role play and talk about how to handle social situations, make friends, start conversations etc. She makes it fun and a "cool" thing to go to...my son (8) loves it and he is picking up all kinds of social things that I have been trying to teach him about but he doesn't want to learn from his mom :) (because of course, what do I know???????)  xo

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

This is good advice.  I'd also talk to your son's doctor about family therapy or sibling therapy to see if there is something available for your daughter.

Quoting lucasmadre:

I would go to the head of your special ed department and see if she/he could connect you with anyone else in your school that might fit the bill, maybe there is another family or families right in your town...if not then I am sure they could direct you to near by support groups or other ways you might meet up with other families dealing with the same issues for both your kids. I was so surprised how many local things are offered once I started looking into it...

Good luck and welcome to the group! xo

PS With the interests your son has I can't imagine that he won't be able to find pals, he sounds like a pretty cool kid! Our school psychologist just started a social group that meets once a week (my son just started going) and they role play and talk about how to handle social situations, make friends, start conversations etc. She makes it fun and a "cool" thing to go to...my son (8) loves it and he is picking up all kinds of social things that I have been trying to teach him about but he doesn't want to learn from his mom :) (because of course, what do I know???????)  xo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)