Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Did you fear having another baby after your first child was diagnosed?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm not pregnant and we aren't trying to be, but I always told him that if I end up pregnant we will raise it, and we all know that BC doesn't always work.

Anyways his son was diagnosed classic autism when he was 22 months old and is nearly 4 years old now, he is the only child in the house (I've never been pregnant, just stepmom) and it scares us both if it ever happens because of all the pain and struggle we've gone through for him.

Well I just wanted to know how you ladies felt about it before you had #2+.

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (11-16):
John3_16
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Our geneticist told my husband and I that our odds were 50/50. We decided that those were not odds we were willing to gamble with. Had he said 80/20...maybe. But 50/50 could go either way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gbtino
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

IF THAT CHILD IS NOT YOURS, THEN YOU ARE INTRODUCING DIFFERENT GENETICS INTO THIS AND IT MAY NOT BE AN ISSUE! WE DIDNT HAVE A DIAGNOSIS YET AND IF WE HAD WORRIED ABOUT THAT, WE WOUDNT HAVE OUR SECOND CHILD, WHO IS PERFECT. I DO WORRY ABOUT THAT FOR A THIRD CHILD, HOWEVER, ESP IF A BOY

lasombrs
by Sara on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I found out I was pregnant with number two a month before we found out his auto immune disease was possibly genetic and a year before he was diagnosied with autism. If she is as well so be it. She models his behavior anyway because its all she has known. Wouldn't be much harder I dont think. We already have constant appointments and almost non stop meltdowns couldn't get much worse lol

lfig720
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I found out my son's diagnosis when I was already 7 months pregnant, I'm now due Feb 1st....very happy for the second baby, but it is another boy and it just makes me nervous about what to expect in another year or so.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I think about this all the time. Before having our son, we were one of those "we're going to have 6 kids!!" couples. Our son is a year and a half now, and we're not having another child any time soon. First of all, we're not exactly sure what we're dealing with, with our son. We know he's going to get an autism diagnosis, but we don't know how severe he is yet, or what that will mean for our future. On top of that, my husband and I learned after having our son that we're both on the autism spectrum ourselves. This was really the furthest thing from our minds before having our son, but now that we know, it's a definite factor in the decision making for the next one. I think that the bottom line is that we're not going to have another child until we are certain that we can handle another special need's child. If that day never comes, then it never comes. I always pictured my children being close in age though, so it makes me a little sad to think that might not happen. 

Jenalide
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM

This topic is one that I have been thinking about daily... hourly even at times:)  We have been trying to decide if we will have another one, and are facing a lot of big questions.  Will our next also be on the spectrum?  Will he/she be more severe?  Will we be able to offer all kids the attention that they need?  Can we afford therapy for another child??  So many questions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)