Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

SSI approved!!!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 18 Replies
3 moms liked this

I was both shocked and delighted that my son got approved for SSI so quickly! Less than a month from the date I applied. It is such a relief too. Being a single mom it's hard enough to makes ends meet but with having to miss so much work for Dr appts and therapy I was really struggling. Now I can relax a little and breathe!

Cindy Jean   

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetmissy_05
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Congrats!!

JACOBIS_MOM1102
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM

thats awesome, my son was just diagnosed on yesterday. Hopefully I can get some assistance.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

That's fantastic!  Congrats. :)

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I have a couple of SSI questions, while we're on this topic, if you don't mind! 

1) What exactly is SSI? 

2) Do you have to make below a certain income to qualify? 

3) Can we apply as soon as my son is diagnosed?

4) Could I use this towards therapy bills that my insurance will not cover the full cost of? 

5) Could I use it towards a special need's pre-school? 

Thank you so much!! I don't mean to hijack your thread, but It looks like you probably know a bit about this :) 

cindyjean68
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Quoting lady_katie:

1) What exactly is SSI? 

4) Could I use this towards therapy bills that my insurance will not cover the full cost of? 

Thank you so much!! I don't mean to hijack your thread, but It looks like you probably know a bit about this :) 

lady_katie:  Sure glad to help  :)

1) SSI is supplemental security income. It is income for disabled individuals.

2) Yes it is income based

3) I applied 3 days after his diagnosis. I was told he already qualified due to his asthma and adhd dx but when he was suspected of having high function autism I figured it would help more. So I waited for a dx then applied.

4) If your child qualifies for SSI he/she would also qualify for state insurance. (medicaid) So the answer to that question in a sense is yes. You would not use the money but would get the insurance.

5) I am sorry but I don't know the answer to that one. Maybe someone else could help with that.

Hope that helps!

Cindy Jean   

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Thank you so much!

Quoting cindyjean68:

Quoting lady_katie:

1) What exactly is SSI? 

3) I applied 3 days after his diagnosis. I was told he already qualified due to his asthma and adhd dx but when he was suspected of having high function autism I figured it would help more. So I waited for a dx then applied.

4) If your child qualifies for SSI he/she would also qualify for state insurance. (medicaid) So the answer to that question in a sense is yes. You would not use the money but would get the insurance.

5) I am sorry but I don't know the answer to that one. Maybe someone else could help with that.

Hope that helps!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM
What great news! How old is your son and how long did it take ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cindyjean68
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

What great news! How old is your son and how long did it take ?

He is 7 years old and it took less than a month. I think because I had all the doctors files and reports from evals all ready for them when I went to my appointment. I even brought his IEP records. Anything I thought they would need I brought it.

Cindy Jean   

bird846
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I was told today my little girl was approved for ssi also im so happy really need the help 

Jadnorton
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Really... Asthma also qualifies?

Quoting cindyjean68:

Quoting lady_katie:

1) What exactly is SSI? 

Hope that helps!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)