Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to expect?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:22 AM
  • 8 Replies
My son is in pre K. his teacher has told us they will be starting the testing. she's picked up on quite a few things, and agreed with the concerns is voiced at The beginning of the school year.

my question is now, what Should I expect? How Invasive are these test?
I have a little S.A.D, myself so I'm very anxious about the whole thing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Casper628
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:34 AM

The kindergarten tests? I don't know if they are different by state but I know here in ohio they are pretty intense, your kid has to know abcs, be able to count to 100 i do believe, tie shoes, fully potty by themselves, i believe they go over colors and shapes, that sort of thing but i know they are really strict on it here and they have to pass so much to go on. I'm so nervous about these things, but thankfully my daughters bday is at the end of september so she won't be able to start at 5 and will have to wait til 6.

MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:36 AM
2 moms liked this
If you mean an IEP assessment by the school, then it's a simple series of playdates. Ds' consisted of five appointments: 1 with a speech therapist, 1 with a general Ed teacher, 1 with the nurse, and 2 with the head of SELPA and all the preceding to discuss results.

It's non invasive and he won't even realize he's being assessed. While they are doing this another person will be asking you a laundry list of questions partially for the info and partially to keep you from influencing the "playdate" so they can get an accurate measure of him.

It will all be ok. You're at the start of a journey to more specialized learning for your ds. As a mom of a boy who is half way through his second year of EI pre-k I can say that it's all worth it.

They all played games with ds to assess his level and need for services.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngelicMommy_72
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Thank you!

Quoting MissTacoBell:

If you mean an IEP assessment by the school, then it's a simple series of playdates. Ds' consisted of five appointments: 1 with a speech therapist, 1 with a general Ed teacher, 1 with the nurse, and 2 with the head of SELPA and all the preceding to discuss results.

It's non invasive and he won't even realize he's being assessed. While they are doing this another person will be asking you a laundry list of questions partially for the info and partially to keep you from influencing the "playdate" so they can get an accurate measure of him.

It will all be ok. You're at the start of a journey to more specialized learning for your ds. As a mom of a boy who is half way through his second year of EI pre-k I can say that it's all worth it.

AngelicMommy_72
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Thank you!

Quoting MissTacoBell:

tictacmama
by Arlea on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM

This was similar to my experience. It was fun for Xavier but exhausting for me.

GL!

Quoting MissTacoBell:

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Pre K testing is really just simple games played with a teacher to watch his reaction to situations and how he handles problem solving. My son came home and said it was fun. Try not to worry, it will just give the school a "baseline" to see how he is progressing. He may just have delays or it may be something a little more serious but either way knowledge is power right? One thing to consider at this stage is if he seems a little delayed this is a time you could hold him back a year without it effecting his self esteem. One more year of pre school might help him prepare for kindergarden but they will help you decide that. I kind of wish I had waited an extra year with my boy knowing what I know now but who can say...

Good luck and don't worry about it being hard on him, he will probably like it. Hang in there momma, you are doing great!!!  xo Keep us posted :)

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Be sure to voice concerns about your child's performance. Some kids can go through multiple tests and do well. Some need sensory breaks, so be sure to bring up your child's strengths and challenges.

Also let the teacher know if your child is a hands-on learner, puzzles, blocks, etc. Or if he is visual, worksheets and flashcards. Good luck.

Marcy_182
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM

it is obesrvation and interaction is like playtime but at the same time they question the child on his selfskills, pretend play, imagination, knowing concepts , visual coordination, motor skills, his speech and more

Good luck. Keep posting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)