Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

my secret to preventing public meltdowns lol**eta**

Posted by   + Show Post

so playskool makes these cool fold & go play sets right? i love them i think they are great given they keep jake occupied when hes antsy. only issue is its really easy to snap the parts off (therefore with jake its a supervised toy) i plan on collecting all of the sets because they are small and fit in the back pack we use as his survival bag (when we go on outings the bag and its contents help control meltdowns and help him refocus) i cant wait to get more of them. we also have puzzles and his blanket in the bag so having something that folds up flat and fits with everything else is great. i honestly have his therapists to thank. they made me realize that while some toys are great free play toys, some need to be kept for special occations and supervised directed play. i plan on getting him some new sensory toys and developmental toys (he loves puzzles and to him even the lacing beads are puzzles) to add to his bag and to swap out to mix things up a bit. its a life saver on outtings. 

so anyone else have a "survival bag"? what are your go to toys? any suggestions?

** just to add in, my son is only 2 lol

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
weirdkids
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM

dh is a download junkie so he downloads alot of new movies onto the laptops and we sit and watch them. jake likes to watch too when hes out in the kitchen eating but if i gave it to him on a tablet it would be all over and he would throw a fit lol

Quoting Casper628:

Thats exactly how my little one is, infact its been known to cause her to have breakdowns because she gets so into watching me do it!!  Now I have thought about getting her a kindle fire, because of Netflix, and books, I think she would love that, and I could use it too.

Quoting weirdkids:

my son doesnt get the point of an ipad either lol he likes things he can actually hold in his hands and play with over anything on a screen. he will watch you play a game but if you hand it to him he looks at you like you are crazy and goes to get his truck lol

Quoting Casper628:

Lol!! I have had sidewalk chalk everywhere!!!! simply because wet cloth wipes it off, though now, my daughter is really good with markers and crayons, we normally have coloring books and crayons, flashcards (simple words, colors, shapes, numbers my little one loves them) a picture book, and we also carry lalaloopsys or carebears, though I'm sure that won't really help with SONS....I also normally have either goldfish, or crackers, fruit snacks, or cheese sticks of some kind.

I have heard great things about the ipad, but its so hard to explain directions to my little one, she doesn't seem to get it.

Mpiggy4u
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Hi my aunt made my Son a fleece blanket and put bead or somethinginside heavy an be wash wrap around then seems to calm my son we are jsut got our son tested still don't know for autism

saltycoqui
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Yes. We've always carried with toys to keep busy. Not so much anymore since mine are teens now. The little things they might carry are usually one thing that can fit in a pocket. And it's like a comforting thing for them. Even if it's a little Lego person.
You're doing good.
Just don't present your LO with too much at once or he can get overwhelmed.
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I keep a kindle fire in my survival bag. My son's a year and a half, so this really keeps his attention when need be. 

VioletsMomTown
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

If its a long trip then I'll bring the iPad, its a life saver. I usually get Violet to pick out a stuffed animal to take before we go out, and she will hold onto it throughout the day. Nothing specific now, but she used to be soooo attached to her blanket, that we had it with us on the hottest day of the year at the zoo, she was dying of heat under it, but wouldn't let me take it off of her. Luckily she got over that phase. She used to take the same Christmas monkey toy to daycare every day too. She likes to mix it up now, she's not attached to anything like she used to be.  Sometimes its enough to just bring a bag of pork rinds and she'll snack away happily.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

janitplanet
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I just got an iPad last month, and I also find it to be a life saver! :) Find an app for whatever he or she is into. My son loves Disney Cars, and he can play with the Cars app for hours! He also likes drawing apps. There have been a couple of occasions when the iPad almost caused a meltdown because he couldn't get it to do what he wanted, but that doesn't happen very often.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I take snacks, drink, and his favorite stuffed toys along with some cars. 

^survival bag.

I'm really lucky though it takes a lot for him to actually have a meltdown while out. I think it has something to do with being scared. He doesn't cry often. Since he's been in preschool the meltdowns have gotten less. Less often and less severe. 

There are still times, and I always make sure we have the survival bag with us no matter what, because you never know.

Paperfishies
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM
My 2 year old's iPad is a life saver. Keeps her busy and content. It fits in my handbag...I also keep a few little cars and some flash cards, in my handbag.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marcy_182
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM

IPAD is our to go item 

weirdkids
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I keep seeing alot about how much an ipod helps lol my son hates them lol he likes things he can do with his hands. his therapist even said usually kids are like amazed with them.... my son threw hers in his trash can lol

** i pad not ipod lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN