Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

my secret to preventing public meltdowns lol**eta**

Posted by   + Show Post

so playskool makes these cool fold & go play sets right? i love them i think they are great given they keep jake occupied when hes antsy. only issue is its really easy to snap the parts off (therefore with jake its a supervised toy) i plan on collecting all of the sets because they are small and fit in the back pack we use as his survival bag (when we go on outings the bag and its contents help control meltdowns and help him refocus) i cant wait to get more of them. we also have puzzles and his blanket in the bag so having something that folds up flat and fits with everything else is great. i honestly have his therapists to thank. they made me realize that while some toys are great free play toys, some need to be kept for special occations and supervised directed play. i plan on getting him some new sensory toys and developmental toys (he loves puzzles and to him even the lacing beads are puzzles) to add to his bag and to swap out to mix things up a bit. its a life saver on outtings. 

so anyone else have a "survival bag"? what are your go to toys? any suggestions?

** just to add in, my son is only 2 lol

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Replies (21-24):
GELiz
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM

That is a wonderful idea. I have heard others use this for Telephone talking time. You know that as soon as you are on the phone, kids will want your attention. Same idea. awesome.

GrammaJane46
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM

My 3-yr-old granddaughter attends early intervention preK 6 hours a day.  She has been home 3 hours now and has been involved with her android pad the whole time.  It was a Christmas gift because she was "stealing" her mom's Kindle Fire hours of each day.  She runs the thing like a pro and has hre favorite places to go.  Loves the pad because she can move around with it but still stay connected.
preK has done wonders for her, btw 

Autiziumom
by Ana on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM
His MP3 player! Only one song over and over again!
nancfl
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM
I just wanted to say I wish we had thought of something like that when my son was younger. He is 8 and has come a long way since the depantsing incedent at wall art a few years back:-) :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN