Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Sleep Deprived Mommy!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 16 Replies

So my son is 2 yrs old and was just diognosed with autism. He has only slept through the night a handful of times since birth. He wakes for hours each night sometimes just lays in his crib babbling, other times wakes fussing as though something is wrong and I have to get up with him. He doesn't talk so he can't tell us what's going on. He has a bath each night and a bedtime routine, blah blah blah all the stuff the doctor says. He won't use a weight blanket, he throws everything out of his crib before going to sleep. we just started giving him Melatonin but the doc says he is too young to take it. Help please!! Would love some other suggestions. surrender

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't see why he couldn't use melatonin? But ok. Maybe you could try putting a cup of epsom salts in his bath at night, the magnesium is calming. I use probiotics for my daughter, and it has seemed to help her sleep, I give her some right before bedtime in her drink. Something like Culturelle for kids would be good for that age. A blackout shade maybe? I don't know, I tried everything when my daughter was 2, she just grew out of it eventually. I feel for ya!

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Try cosleeping.

JLivermore
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM

We have tried, he won't sleep in our bed. He just throws a tantrum when we try and put him in our bed :/ Thank you for the input though :)

Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Do you have any idea why he wakes up?  Maybe set up your video camera to record him.  You can watch the video and see what is going on just before he wakes up.

shugerbit
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:03 AM

my son was the same way, he is also 2 1/4  and nonverbal.  I didn't want him to take medicine to sleep but my doctor prescribed an heptoclonodine it's in the histamine family so it causes drowsiness and is non habit forming.  I cried the first night, but we both slept like a baby so it's worth it.  it doesn't make him pass out or become a zombie, just tired enough to stay sleeping.  he was getting up at 1 am and staying up until 5 am. as o now sleeping his 8 hours he is more receptive to learning. 

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Oh, right. Try removing dairy, like give him almond, coconut or rice milk instead. Sometimes they wake up in the night because they are having acid reflux from a milk intolerance. Just thought about that. Give it a try for a couple of weeks, see what happens. Now that I think of it, when we removed dairy and gluten was when my daughter started sleeping better too. Its better than medicating him anyways.

JLivermore
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM

He is lactose intolerent so he doesn't drink milk at all but I never thought of gluten free for sleep maybe I will try that, thanks :)

emarin77
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Try baby bed/bath time shampoo from Johnson and Johnson.  It worked well for my son when he was younger.  Soft music helps too.

GELiz
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Quoting JLivermore:

So my son is 2 yrs old and was just diognosed with autism. He has only slept through the night a handful of times since birth. He wakes for hours each night sometimes just lays in his crib babbling, other times wakes fussing as though something is wrong and I have to get up with him. He doesn't talk so he can't tell us what's going on. He has a bath each night and a bedtime routine, blah blah blah all the stuff the doctor says. He won't use a weight blanket, he throws everything out of his crib before going to sleep. we just started giving him Melatonin but the doc says he is too young to take it. Help please!! Would love some other suggestions. surrender

Have you tried the white noise cd's - like the ocean or something like that? I know lots of mom's with autistic children do not get the sleep they need, so anything that keeps you sane will also help your little one. Does he rock himself for comfort at all. Maybe if the bed could be on springs or something. Just trying to think outside the box.

laurag8707
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM

oh im there with you my son wouldnt sleep for the longest either finally it came down to melatonin and a fan running in his room all night long finally it worked

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)