List of Colleges/Universities that offer great ASD assistance/attention
My mom, a psychologist in Maryland, sent me this today from a psychology listserv that she frequents. I don't have any personal experience with any of these programs but I thought it was nice to see colleges and universities trying to assist those with ASD as well as some resources for those who have kids that are 18+! Most of these programs list Asperger's as their target, but since that diagnosis just went poof, I'm going to say they're for any young adult with autism who wants to attend college.
Autism Spectrum / Asperger’s Disorder Services from MPA Listserve
1) CIP is a year-round program providing individualized social, academic, career and life
skills instruction to young adults 18-26 with Asperger’s, ADD and other learning
2) College Internship Program at the Brevard Center
3) Achieving in Higher Education With Autism and Developmental Disabilities
(AHEADD), which is based in Pittsburgh and currently assists eight students at Carnegie
Mellon University and at the University of Pittsburgh
4) Asperger’s College Program at Rutgers University:
The College Program for students with Asperger’s Disorder is under the auspices of the
Division of Outreach Services at The Douglass Developmental Disabilities Center (DDDC).
5) COMPASS – College-based Support for Students with Asperger’s – this program is at
Fairleigh Dickinson University
6) University of Indianapolis: http://build.uindy.edu
The B.U.I.L.D. program at the University of Indianapolis is a full support program
designed to help the college student with a specific learning disability, which can include
dyslexia, attention deficit, Asperger's, and traumatic brain injury, earn an associate or
7) Other colleges with Asperger’s Programs:
Univ of Alabama
Eastern Kentucky Univ
Keene State Univ (New Hampshire)
Marshall Univ (West Virginia)
Western Kentucky Univ.
8) Howard County Community College has Project Access as an intro to college, and they
reportedly have a college program as well. It is for students with “learning differences,”
9) Dr. David Band, at Crossroads Psychological Services in Columbia, specializes in
10) Alex Szollos is reportedly a knowledgeable provider in Belair, MD.
11) The program at Towson State reportedly is excellent: