Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is seeing a holistic docter who specializes in autism a waste?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM
  • 47 Replies

I am the mom of a very sweet 9 year old boy who falls on the spectrum.  I guess I'm pretty lucky as he doesnt really have any behaviors.  He struggles with language has some tic behavior.  He has mild social problems.  My main issue is he is in a mainstream classroom.  He has an IEP but I just want to feel that I'm giving him the best shot possible.   He struggles in school and will not focus and stay on task. I made an appointment for him to see a holistic docter that specializes in autism.  He treats the medical aspect of autism with ideas such as supplement and change of diet. My husband feels it's a waste of time.  Does anyone have any opinions on the subject?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatyTylersMom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Best thing we've done for both our kids was to see a DAN! doctor.  I can't speak to your specific doctor but treating the underlying issues our son and daughter have (yeast, bacterial infections, viral infections, vitamin deficiencies) have really done wonders.

marlew
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I'm sorry but what is a DAN docter?

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting marlew:

I am the mom of a very sweet 9 year old boy who falls on the spectrum.  I guess I'm pretty lucky as he doesnt really have any behaviors.  He struggles with language has some tic behavior.  He has mild social problems.  My main issue is he is in a mainstream classroom.  He has an IEP but I just want to feel that I'm giving him the best shot possible.   He struggles in school and will not focus and stay on task. I made an appointment for him to see a holistic docter that specializes in autism.  He treats the medical aspect of autism with ideas such as supplement and change of diet. My husband feels it's a waste of time.  Does anyone have any opinions on the subject?

Defeat Autism Now!(DAN!)  My pedi said be careful when i asked about that for my 5 yo DS ASD.  They think that kiddos w/ASD have an overgrowth of yeast,vitamin/mineral dedficiencies,heavy metal toxicity.  My gut feeling says no.  we do not know what causes or cures Autism(yet).  If there was solid research to back up these treatments,I'd do it in a heartbeat for my kiddo.  I had my son tested for allergies he has none to adress.  I'm afraid that DAN! Dr's may take advantage of loving parents desperate for cure/treatment for ASD.   In my son's case,the biggest success we have gotten ids from ABA therapy.  He is in an Autism kindergarten,improving socially,reading,writing.  ((HUGS)) and gd luck.  whatever you decide to do,you are not locked into any treatment/meds ,you can change at any time.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Defeat Autism Now!  (DAN!)  Dr's

Quoting marlew:

I'm sorry but what is a DAN docter?

VioletsMomTown
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM
3 moms liked this

A DAN doctor is absolutely not a waste. Its not voodoo, its real science and medicine. And it works! Its treating the person as an individual instead of writing off any medical issues as simply part of the autism. 100% best thing I've done for my daughter, way more effective than any kind of behavioral therapy we've done (although I would still recommend doing it too). Its not them guessing at things, they do testing, and then tailor the protocol to issues specific to your childs health. ASD kids have commonalities, such as yeast overgrowth, bacteria and an inability to detox, resulting in high levels of toxins and metals in the system. I have tests from labs stating all of those things with my daughter. Its amazing to me that people still question if these doctors are of any benefit, when it seems so obvious that not only them, but all of us could benefit from better nutrition, ridding our bodies of toxins and taking supplements. Our doctor is so helpful, she spends 2-3 hours with me every time I see her, just discussing my daughters health and strategies we can take. She will explain exactly why certain supplements are needed, and why a certain diet is necessary.

I just want to say its been worth every penny. We have had some major improvements in health and behavior with Violet. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

They are considered outside the mainstream of the medical community but a lot of moms have had success with them. It is a very hotly contested and debated issue. AutismSpeaks almost split because of these issues. I would research both sides of the issue, those who are for and against, and then just try to navigate it as best possible. IMO there is no wrong or right answer, just whatever works for your family.

I personally did not go that route. What little money we have, we spent on ABA. But I do give my son DHA gummies, those did help a lot. Also, my son is younger. Has he been seen by a developmental pedi or a psychiatrist? Does he have meds for adhd? My gut tells me that and social skills group is what would best benefit your son. My son takes adhd meds and it has helped a lot. Good Luck mom.

saltycoqui
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM
It wouldn't hurt to try. You can change doc whenever u want. I don't let any doc dictate to me. We are a team.
Dot102
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM
3 moms liked this

We took our daughter to a DAN doctor who had us go to Doctor's Data for heavy metal testing as well as food allergy testing.   Please do your own homework!  Many of these doctor's are scientologists.  A child in our state went into cardiac arrest and died from too much chelation therapy to "remove" heavy metals from the body.  Even the lab they use to run their testing has been under investigation for fraud.  I would have never put my daughter through treatment from a DAN doctor if I had done some research first.  

http://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/2006/11/07/autism-scientology-and-the-moonies/  

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Even if seeing the holistic doctor doesn't help, it will have helped you, because then you will feel that you've done what you can to help your son. 

I understand wanting to try everything and anything for our children. 

I would take your son to the doctor and see what happens. 

If it helps then it was more than worth it.

VioletsMomTown
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

You have GOT to be kidding? For one thing, who cares what their religion is? They have PhD's from real universities. It's not a cult for gods sake!  And the one time a chelation went wrong was because the child was given the wrong thing. Its tragic of course, but do you have any idea how often mistakes happens in regular medicine? Hundreds of times a day if not more. We use a dan doctor, and we don't chelate, not everyone needs to.

Quoting Dot102:

We took our daughter to a DAN doctor who had us go to Doctor's Data for heavy metal testing as well as food allergy testing.   Please do your own homework!  Many of these doctor's are scientologists.  A child in our state went into cardiac arrest and died from too much chelation therapy to "remove" heavy metals from the body.  Even the lab they use to run their testing has been under investigation for fraud.  I would have never put my daughter through treatment from a DAN doctor if I had done some research first.  

http://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/2006/11/07/autism-scientology-and-the-moonies/  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN