Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is seeing a holistic docter who specializes in autism a waste?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am the mom of a very sweet 9 year old boy who falls on the spectrum.  I guess I'm pretty lucky as he doesnt really have any behaviors.  He struggles with language has some tic behavior.  He has mild social problems.  My main issue is he is in a mainstream classroom.  He has an IEP but I just want to feel that I'm giving him the best shot possible.   He struggles in school and will not focus and stay on task. I made an appointment for him to see a holistic docter that specializes in autism.  He treats the medical aspect of autism with ideas such as supplement and change of diet. My husband feels it's a waste of time.  Does anyone have any opinions on the subject?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Replies (11-20):
proudofwyatt
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

i totally agree with most of the rest of the moms, it can't hurt to try! we take our son to a DAN dr and a regular pedi. we did a heavy metals test, and (thank goodness) it came back that he did not need chelation. we started suppliment therapy and it has helped so much! we also did an IGg food sensitivity test,  (which is not the same as a food allergy test). that has by far been the most helpful thing that we have done for him. it showed us so many things that we were feeding him that his digestive tract could not process or eliminate even though he wasn't showing any signs of allergy to them. (gluten, caisen, eggs, garlic, soy, peaches, bananas, the list goes on and on). diet modification has helped a LOT!  we do hyperbaric treatments 2x per week, utilize a weighted vest, and he also has regular visits with an Occupational therapist and a Speech therapist. as of 3-4 months ago, he was completely non-verbal, now he is actually starting to repeat alot! his mind seems so much clearer although his attention to task still isn't where we'd like to see it. but i will take what progress i can get! LOL! i wish you good luck! i know what you mean by wanting to give him the best possible, and one day he will thank you for it! keep up the good work, he's worth it!  :) 

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
From my personal research (going by only me and my views), I would say seeing a DAN dr is all about your personal view on Autism. By my research and the few I have talked to, DANs view Autism as something to cure. That is not my husband's and my view. Autism to us is an extension of our son, curing that is like taking a apart of him away.

But even saying that, I will say DANs do offer a wider variety of testing. Maybe due to military and where we were stationed at the time of dx, but we got all the same testing done. If your regular peds do not offer those types of tests, seeing a DAN might be an option.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dot102
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM

http://autismquackery.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/its-time-to-sue-dan-practioners-for-malpractice/

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Well if someone wrote an opinion article about it on the internet then it MUST BE TRUE!

If you would like to visit the website of the doctor we take our two PDD-NOS children to, here it is:  http://mendingautism.com/

I'd invite you to watch Dr. Kartzinel's webinar series where he'll go over how he approaches different facets of our kids' overall health and how those treatments can impact the symptoms of autism and WHY.  Dr. Kartzinel is a MD who had been a pediatrician for years before he adopted his youngest son.  His son regressed into severe autism after his 18 month vaccines and Dr. Kartzinel got involved in treating kids with autism through his journey in treating his son.  His son is now 16 and has various health complications in addition to autism (type 1 diabetes for example) but is in good health, is happy, and is still a work in progress (as are we all!). 

My advice to parents who are wondering if they should take their child to a DAN! type doctor is this:  if you feel that your child is healthy and happy and able to make the most of all their therapies (ABA, ST, OT, PT, whatever) then it is probably not worth your time and money.  If your feel that your child is ill more frequently than peers, has a hard time fighting off illnesses that other kids seem to bounce back from easily, is tired ALL the time, cranky, listless, or otherwise just "off" and feeling poorly, which then in turn makes it that much harder for your kid to participate fully in therapies and school, then you might want to give it a try.  Do your homework, not all DAN! doctors are created equal (same as any other pediatrician you might bring your child to - ask around!). 

Any DAN! doctor should draw blood, sometimes multiple times, run IgG food allergy and sensitivities tests, thyroid tests, and likely a stool sample test for yeast and other harmful bacteria and parasites.  ALL treatments should be based on the findings of those medical tests.  NOW.  That being said, chelation is tricky because even 2-3 months after exposure to heavy metals, the body has stashed them away in tissues and is no longer excreting them.  So if your doctor suggests chelation despite negative test results for heavy metals in blood, stool, and urine, you have to make that decision yourself with their guidance.  Chelation can be done safely and gently, and the resultant heavy metals OR lack thereof is measurable in urine so you'll know if it's working or if you are ok to cease treatment.  

That being said, chelation is often one of the LAST treatments a DAN! doctor will recommend - first they want to remove bacteria, yeast, and any other infections to reduce the strain on the child's immune system.  At the same time they are bolstering the immune system and overall health with vitamins, supplements, and detoxifiers such as *gasp* vitamin C - not in ULTRA high doses either.  Methyl-B12 is often used to aid in detoxification of the body in small injections (our son gets one nightly - he doesn't even flinch and he's 2 so there's no "manning up" going on there), as are epsom salt baths which feed sulphur into the same detox cycle as the B12. 

Anyway, I'm not here to change anyone's mind, if you are interested please check out Dr. Kartzinel's website and the book "Healing our Autistic Children:  A Medical Plan for Restoring Your Child's Health" by Julie Buckley, MD.  They offer excellent information and guidance which you can then discuss with any DAN! doctor or your regular pediatrician. 

Quoting Dot102:

http://autismquackery.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/its-time-to-sue-dan-practioners-for-malpractice/

VOR207
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

We now have several DAN! doctors who are scientologists, several thiomersal/autism lawyers who are scientologists, a ‘cured’ child who was diagnosed (partly), treated and ‘cured’ by scientologists and now one Congressman who’s advisor is a scientologist. We also have one indirect link from scientology to Generation Rescue (in the shape of Julia Berle, founding parent of that organization and mother to the ‘cured’ child described above) and one direct link from scientology to SafeMinds in the shape of Beth Clay.

Maybe its worth reminding ourselves what Scientology is. According to ex-scientologist, Roland Rashleigh-Berry, Scientology is:

….a vicious and dangerous cult that masquerades as a religion. Its purpose is to make money. It practices a variety of mind-control techniques on people lured into its midst to gain control over their money and their lives

I wanted to share what the DAN philosophy is based on, how the Generation Rescue anti-vaccine movement began, and how many parents should at least know this to make an informed decision on taking their children to such doctors.  I do not appreciate when someone posts the truth about these doctors and then gets criticized for knocking a religion.  Truth is, it's all about their religion!  That's how it originated.  
KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM
3 moms liked this

To say that two doctors out of hundreds means that the DAN! Philosophy is based on Scientology principles is ridiculous.  And I'm pretty sure that the anti-vaccine movement stemmed from parents who watched their children sicken and regress into autism within days of receiving vaccines.  The fact that thimerosol was removed to "appease" the public despite it being "completely safe" should be automatically suspect.  No pharmaceutical company will ever do ANYTHING as a favor, they do things to make money or to avoid costly lawsuits.  

Quoting VOR207:

We now have several DAN! doctors who are scientologists, several thiomersal/autism lawyers who are scientologists, a ‘cured’ child who was diagnosed (partly), treated and ‘cured’ by scientologists and now one Congressman who’s advisor is a scientologist. We also have one indirect link from scientology to Generation Rescue (in the shape of Julia Berle, founding parent of that organization and mother to the ‘cured’ child described above) and one direct link from scientology to SafeMinds in the shape of Beth Clay.

Maybe its worth reminding ourselves what Scientology is. According to ex-scientologist, Roland Rashleigh-Berry, Scientology is:

….a vicious and dangerous cult that masquerades as a religion. Its purpose is to make money. It practices a variety of mind-control techniques on people lured into its midst to gain control over their money and their lives

I wanted to share what the DAN philosophy is based on, how the Generation Rescue anti-vaccine movement began, and how many parents should at least know this to make an informed decision on taking their children to such doctors.  I do not appreciate when someone posts the truth about these doctors and then gets criticized for knocking a religion.  Truth is, it's all about their religion!  That's how it originated.  

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM

OMG with the scientology mumbo jumbo! Who cares even if they are? Do you know what religion your doctor is? Probably not because it has nothing to do with anything. Like I've said before, these are real doctors who have attended accredited schools, its not a cult, its not voodoo. Holy wackadoodles batman! We've just entered...The Twilight Zone

Oh and btw, if Scientologists are helping or "curing" our kids, then maybe they're not the crazy ones, maybe they actually know something too. I'm pretty much open to anything that has success, and the dan protocol works for many kids.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I smell a rat here moms, Dot102 is not a member of Cafemom, and  VOR207 just joined today to leave these odd comments.

humbledmom310
by Kelly on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I wouldn't say that a holistic doctor would be a waste of your time if there was a reason behind it. If your child is Sick A lot, not sleeping well, chronic constipation or diarrhea, often tired or lethargic, or if your child has unexplained crying and is unable to communicate if something is hurting them. These are symptoms that MAY indicate yeast , bacterial infections, viral infections, vitamin or mineral deficiencies, or an excess of heavy metals. Of course these type of situations are few and far between.

If your child is doing well , making progress, and not chronically sick I DO believe it is a waste of time. Whe you are talking about Human Physiology it is not "black and White" . here is an EX. My son was tested for allergies (requested by me) about a year ago. When the blood panel came back it showed allergies in almost everything... wheat, milk, nuts, soy, you name it... Of course I tripped and just new this had to be the reason for my sons Autism. His doctor (like the majority of doctors) does not advocate these DAN doctors and explained to me that these type of blood tests can be misleading . If my son has been consuming larger quantities of milk ,ect. it could actually show up as a food allergy when it actually is not one. Plus the the level of the allergy is a factor too. I however still decided to cut it all out of my sons diet , so for three months I put him on a very strict diet . I decided to go back to my sons doctor and have another allergy panel done, this time I had to pay out of pocket. It came back that , that he had No milk or Wheat Allergy, soy was in the very low point range and the only one that was the same as the last test was the Nuts. Nuts we already new for sure he an allergy because his eyes swell up when ever he eats them.

Anyways...my point is this. These DAN doctors have turned into a Fad and you have to be careful that they are not using your ignorance as a way to make money.  Vitamin shots, anti -biotics ,and other extreme treatments are not neccessary in the majority of these children and can even be dangerous . Blood tests are NOT black and white and can be misleading to the layman. Of course everyone can benefit from good eating habits and a good whole foods vitamin supplement , but you need to look out for the extremes. Nature is balance.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I just don't like this attitude that if you are doing these treatments then you are somehow being duped because of "ignorance" and that we can't possibly understand as mere "layman" I would never just do things without researching them thoroughly, especially when if concerns my daughter's health. I have read upwards of 30 books on the topic and research daily to inform myself. The information is out there, if you chose to accept it is your decision. I got no support from my pediatrician other than telling me which drugs we could put my 4 year old on, no way! I chose to see a dan doctor because I wanted to know more about my daughters health, and she is non-verbal, she is not able to express if she has a sore stomach, or other ailments. We didn't need allergy testing, we did heavy metal testing, and an organic acids test, which were very telling for her health. I don't think any dan doctor is going to recommend antibiotics, its rather the opposite usually, dealing with the consequences of the family doctor's overuse of them by repopulating the gut with good bacteria. There is scientific data to back up every treatment I have done on my daughter. Your family doctor is not trained in nutrition, they receive less than one week on it in medical school. I resent when people who don't chose to research and understand try to undermine what these good doctors are doing helping these kids. Its not a fad, its becoming known because its successful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)