Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

hi i am new to this. my son was diagnoised with autism

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 18 Replies

could someone please tell me what stage 2 autism is.i feel like an idiot, i don't under stand all of this doctor tall. i need it explained in dummy terms. confusedblank starelol

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I've never heard of autism in numbered stages before... is he high functioning?  Is he verbal or non-verbal?

Quoting terrie185:

could someone please tell me what stage 2 autism is.i feel like an idiot, i don't under stand all of this doctor tall. i need it explained in dummy terms. confusedblank starelol

terrie185
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:48 PM

he is non-verbal

Mpiggy4u
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Hi my son was just diagnosed with moderate autsim check out your local libary ..  

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Never heard of it.  My son was diagnosed with mild Autism.  I've heard of moderate and severe Autism too.  Always ask the doctor what something is if you do not know what it means.

terrie185
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM

i have. they told me to start filling for his diasbility for social sacurity. he will need a lot of help the rest of his life

kaycamp
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Typically it is not diagnosed in 'stages'.  I agree, that is odd.  Usually it is diagosed in levels of severity.  But don't be fooled by that, either.  My son was diagnosed as more severe, but he isn't.  As these kids grow and learn they have the potential to evolve.  At first it is overwhelming.  Keep positive, find reason to laugh, and remember that they learn more, develop more, succeed more with lots and lots of encouraging words, unconditional love, and etc.  Remember that spanking never works, nor do harsh words.  Chin up mom...it is a journey for all involved.  Make it as wonderful as can be. 

VioletsMomTown
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so typical! Leave it to a doctor to give you NO HOPE AT ALL! Listen, this is not necessarily a hopeless situation, there are many therapies, diets and things that can be done to improve the quality of his life. Some kids do so well they are taken off the spectrum (though they might still seem a lil quirky). To predict a childs life when they are so young is a guess at best, and your doctor has no business saying such things. With hard work, perseverence and love I think any child can improve, and live a productive, happy life.

Quoting terrie185:

i have. they told me to start filling for his diasbility for social sacurity. he will need a lot of help the rest of his life

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

terrie185
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM

they told me he was in the middle of the spectrum

terrie185
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM

what a bout medication that they should be given by the doctors and what the should not take at all ? i hear that a child with autism should not have any medications that have tylenol with codeine in it. what other things should we have him stay away from ? How do you potty train when he is not talking to tell us that he has to go ? how do you get him to tell us what he want ?

dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! I know this is a difficult time for you with your son's recent diagnosis of Autism. Everything seems to be pretty confusing at this point. You need to contact your school district in writing and request an evaluation for Special Education services (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) which can help your son reach his full potential in life. I also recommend joining a local Autism support group which can help you with local resources to help your son. Some local YMCAs have a program for special needs kids. I will include some other resources which should help you.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN