Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Admitting I need help with my son

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

Think I've found the right place:) My son is 11 years old. He was diagnosed ADD in December 2009 and was just recently in October diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome and anxiety disorder. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with this although I feel like I should have known. His teachers tried to tell me but I was in denial. I knew that he doesn't make eye contact, he can't focus unless he's singing or humming, he doesn't have many close friends by choice, he's brilliant in algebra but can't keep his shoes tied but I never thought anything was wrong with this. He started middle school this year and he hate it. He has anxiety about going to school because he get nervous when he has to communicate with others. My husband knows that this is very serious and tries to make me understand that we have a real problem that needs more of our attention. I don't want my denial to keep my son from getting the help he need but this is very hard for me. HELP!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! You need to update the school in writing and request an evaluation for Special Education services (http://www.wrightslaw.com/). You have taken the first step in helping your son in life. It can set him up with theraputic and academic services that will help him do well in school. You might want to check into getting him imvolved with a social skills group which can help him a lot. I will include some helpful resources to help you.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

baileymomma77
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Im in your same shoes...Im realising now i have got  to have help too

tcool33
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank u so very much. I've tried talking with his school counselor and his teachers but it didn't go over very well mainly because of lack of knowledge on my part. This will help me to be confident when I speak up for my son. Thanks again.

Quoting dawncs:

Welcome to the group! You need to update the school in writing and request an evaluation for Special Education services (http://www.wrightslaw.com/). You have taken the first step in helping your son in life. It can set him up with theraputic and academic services that will help him do well in school. You might want to check into getting him imvolved with a social skills group which can help him a lot. I will include some helpful resources to help you.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Welcome to the group.  Dawn always has great advice.

Quoting dawncs:

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM

First, welcome to the group. You have found the right place and you will learn so much here. I have only been a member for a short time and I too had denial about my son. It took me some time to adjust to an aspergers diagnosis too but in time you will see this is just a tool to help you get your son what he needs. if I were you I would call and make an appointment with the head of special ed at your son's school and explain your situation. He is entitled to services to help him adjust to middle school and to feel comfortable there as well as to excel in learning. I have found that if you are honest, direct and polite people are usually willing and happy to help you. There are so many services available and your school's special ed dept. is a good place to start. They can give you a list of local org. that can help you and recommend some books to read as well. 

You guys are going to be OK and with a little extra help your son will find his place in this world. We all have our own unique ways. Keep writing and keep us posted in how it is going for you!  xo

MotherMary579
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My Grand Daughter is going through a lot of the same things as you,with her Son. One of the things that she has found very helpful is a natural supplement ,its something that is helping  her Son (my Great Grandson) improve in many ways. Its called  Lutimax Pediatric powder with L-Theanine. You can learn more about it at  http://www.lutimax.com/autism-help/ There are a lot of other Parents testimonials on the site as well as some interesting videos.

Hope this information is of some help to you

Mary

tcool33
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad I became part of cafemoms because doctors don't tell you everything. The parents here have educated me and given me some tools to get started. Thanks and I will keep you posted

Quoting lucasmadre:

First, welcome to the group. You have found the right place and you will learn so much here. I have only been a member for a short time and I too had denial about my son. It took me some time to adjust to an aspergers diagnosis too but in time you will see this is just a tool to help you get your son what he needs. if I were you I would call and make an appointment with the head of special ed at your son's school and explain your situation. He is entitled to services to help him adjust to middle school and to feel comfortable there as well as to excel in learning. I have found that if you are honest, direct and polite people are usually willing and happy to help you. There are so many services available and your school's special ed dept. is a good place to start. They can give you a list of local org. that can help you and recommend some books to read as well. 

You guys are going to be OK and with a little extra help your son will find his place in this world. We all have our own unique ways. Keep writing and keep us posted in how it is going for you!  xo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)