Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
Hi. I'm new to the group. My son was diagnosed with autism 1 year ago just before his 3rd birthday. He had some verbal ability but could only label things. He was unable to communicate his wants and needs. Now after much therapy and diet changes there is almost nothing he can't communicate. He's doing amazing! He just turned 4 and is due for vaccines. Has anyone in this similar situation chosen to vaccinate their child after being diagnosed with autism? I'm scared to death to vaccinate him for fear he might lose speech or back slide. But doctors and other people make me scared not to vaccinate him. Any advice?..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
sweetangie79
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:52 AM

I stopped vaccinating my youngest child at 6 months after the gave him a seizure.  He has PDDNOS and ADHD.  He was fine before the seizure. 

LuluLinden
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:13 AM

www.whale.to/vaccine/mercola.html  

This is some useful info from Dr. Mercola. He's great with providing medical research. It's kind of lengthy though. It's not meant to scare you, just make your own informed decisions. You could also do some of your own research from some of the things he's said. I did selective vaccinations with my son until I noticed he had symptoms of Autism. I'm not saying vaccines cause Autism there's a lot more to it I believe.

Marcy_182
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM

i was in that situation not too long ago i did talk to his doctor and told him my concerns but at the end i decided to do one vaccine at a time to monitor effects on them and at the same time i apply for a vaccinations excemption from our state for the ones he did not get so he can continue with school...

He almost got them all but the MMR with no side effects or regression of any kind...

It worked for us

kerimb
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I vaccinated both of my sons and they are both autistic.  Now that might scare you but they never regressed or anything after getting their shots.  In my opinion I would rather of a child with autism then a child that is really sick or even dying because I did not vaccinate them.  Now this is my opinion and I go with what seems right to me.  Just listen to what you think is right and go with that!

supermomz25
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

my son who is now 12 1/2 was diagnosed with asperger's PPD-NOS two years ago and he had already received all of his vaccines. I have always believed in vaxing my kids and I will continue to do so, but you should do what you feel is right for you and your child. talk to more than one doctor and get as many opinions as possible before you make your decision.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I met my doctors in the middle. I only vaccinated the mandatory vaccines and I had them done one at a time with a few weeks between (even though they acted like that was ridiculous.) I figured it would be easier on his immune system to be dealing with one desease at a time and he got through just fine...good luck. It is so scary.

CocoKellyMom
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Timtam007
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Hi, I have 3 children..my 9 old boy was diagnosed at 2 years old and i vaccinated, however when my daughter was born nearly 6 years ago the hype about the MMR vaccine causing Autism was very high, I  never gave her that and yet she shows typical signs of Autism...I can honestly say my son at 6 weeks of age had that distant vauge look...Its complety up to the individual and if you dont feel comfortable allowing the needles then dont...I wish you all the best :-)

drpatriot
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I have read in the last day or so an ITALIAN court has ruled that the MMR vacccine DOES cause autism.

kittycat813
by KristyAnne on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I stop because the shots where making my kids sick.  When my oldest was born she had to have to shots that made her have autism because shots or vac. or not reliable. She had two newborn vac. that made her really sick I almost lost her. so I not vac. anymore and more people or sick because they got the flu vac. this season.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)