Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is everyone willing to believe the doctor that your kid is just autistic?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 19 Replies

As in, no underlying causes of these symptoms it's just autism and good luck to ya!

Is anyone else not willing to believe that this is all there is? We were told our now 4 year old will be like this forever and just keep him happy and healthy until you can't take it anymore (yes, we were actually told this) but I just can't believe that this is all he is, I think it has other things causing these symptoms but doctors are unwilling to look internally and just diagnose his symptoms that you can see.

He is 4 years old with the mind of a 10 MONTH old.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I felt the same way, my 4 year old was diagnosed and the doctor said there are 3 medications you can chose from, anxiety, depression or hyperactivity meds. I looked at her like a madwoman, no I'm not medicating my baby!! That is why as I looked into it more, I found a great DAN doctor to look into the root of her health. It's the best thing I could have done for her, its helped her so immensely. Your regular doctor is not trained in looking past autism to treating the person as a whole. Through testing we discovered high levels of uranium, aluminum, lead and zirconium, all things that are manufactured in this town we live in. Also high yeast and clostridia in her gut. Through changing her diet and pumping up her immune system with certain vitamins and supplements, she has improved immensely. I've heard good things about homeopathic treatments too, perhaps we will try that in the future.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

kajira
by Emma on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Well.... I was diagnosed with my son - Everyone who knew me could "see" it in me, and could acknowledge I was autistic, but couldn't see it in my son and doubted the docotrs.

They were right about my son - it came out later that my son was schizophrenic with a mood disorder and probably some personality disorder on top of it.

His symptoms could pass for autism on the surface... once you knew the underlying reasons for everything he did, it changed his diagnoses... so yes, they were right in that sense....

Our autism doctor thought something else was going on with him, but until he'd provide more information, they had to just go off surface behaviors.... once he told the truth about stuff, it changed everything.

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe that my son has 'underlying causes'.  I think that my son is Autistic because that is simply the way his brain is wired. 

However, I have known other mothers who just *knew* that there was something else going on.  Some of those families had very good results with diet modifications, suppliments, treating other issues (like bacterial or yeast over-growth in the gut), etc.  If you feel like there is something else going on, I encourage you to go with your instincts and try modifying his diet and perhaps seeking the assistance of a dr who takes a more holistic approach to health.  I'm sure that you'll get lots of great advice from mothers on this board who have had great results.

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112775/forums/read/17883829/Is_seeing_a_holistic_docter_who_specializes_in_autism_a_waste?next=1#replies

This is a really good thread to read and has lots of good info about what kinds of holistic treatments have worked for others.  It'll give you a good place to start if you want to pursue it.  Again, I think that you know your child better than anyone, and if you feel like there is something else going on, I encourage you to pursue it.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM

First I am so sorry your child's problems are so severe but NO, I do not believe that there is nothing you can do...there is always something you can do. First thing is get a new doctor...as Violets mom suggested maybe try a DAN doctor. I love my doctor but I am lucky...has your boy had an MRI or any other diagnostic testing? If not a Dan doctor maybe an internist? 

I am afraid that the diagnosis of autism is the new way for the medical profession to lump a bunch of kids with similar symptoms into one category. Now we don't even have aspergers as a seperate diagnosis? I think when you have a child who has special needs you have to take it upon yourself to be their advocate and try all kinds of things until something works...your little boy is in there. A teacher once told me each child is like a lock, it is our job to find their key. I keep quoting her but I think it is so true...good luck honey. My heart goes out to you.  xo

icn_mom
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I have to tell you I have felt this same exact way!! my daughter for a long time was anorexic (yes started at 15 months old and we are still battling it at almost 6!! we ended up putting in a tube for feedings) and the doctors could only say "well you know she is on the spectrum right? this a symptom of the asd".. I refuse to believe that! It frustrates me, once my dd was diagnosed ASD they stopped looking at ways to help her, and just blame the ASD!!!! Prior to the diagnosis they were all jumping to get things straightened out now its "oh itll take time because of the ASD".. so I feel your pain!!!

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:33 PM

There is always hope and life after the diagnosis. Your child will have struggles but they will progress Learn and grow. And should be able to live a full successful life. Autism is not the end.

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Also you don't have to medicate your child for their autism. I use essential . oils and they have made the world of a difference in help my son manage his emotions, focus and interact more positivly among his peers. I use Certified Therapeutic essentials sold by DoTerra.

Sheriff6
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM

You do not have to believe what they say it is your choice. We chose to believe that wemcouldmhelpmour grandson and in a year he has gone from totally being in his own little world to joining us a lot in ours.  Don't give up on your precious child.   Kathy

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM

There is so much you can do.  GFCF diet, vitamins and supplements, therapies like ABA, OT, PT, ST, all can help your child become the most they can be. Will it be the doctor or lawyer you dreamed of taking care of you in your old age in a life of luxury (oh wait... is that just me?) maybe not, but he/she will be your child, wonderful in their own ways. 

Also, from everything I have read even if a child cannot demonstrate intellectual ability appropriate to their age, that doesn't mean it's not there.  I have read several books written by children who are unable to speak, who can only communicate by typing and who didn't demonstrate this ability until they were teenagers.  All those years of silence, remedial school classes aimed at teaching ABC's and body parts, and these kids could write essays on the human condition.  So never assume that no one is 'in there' listening and learning. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)