Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Risperidol..... Feedback Please &Ty

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 22 Replies

I have never been a huge advocate of medicating, however my df (23) has lost complete control of himself, he destroys everything in our home with no remorse. He lost it so bad at the doctors last week they were almost forced to commit him (which of course is his worst fear) The doctors main concern is his temper and his lack of hygeine being as he hasn't been able to take a shower since thanksgiving :(  The doctor made an agreement with him that if he would try the medication ( risperidol 0.5mg 2x a day ) that he would not have him committed to a psychiatric facility. He has only been on the risperidol for a few days, no adverse reactions so far....... If you have any experience with this med. good or bad, please share your stories with me. 

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

My son is on it for being schizophrenic/rage issues. It works really well for him, and that's the same dose my 8 year old is on.

We will have to paly around with meds a little more than what he's currently on for mood disorder on top of the schizophrenia though - but one step at a time.

Risperdol is good for uncontrollable rage that's caused by chemicals in the brain - if it's a chemical disorder, it works really well.

The main issue with anti psychotics is you REALLY have to be careful that you don't have to take anything else, even benedryl can interact with them in a negative way.

Anti-psychotics are amazing drugs when they work as needed, but they are anti-social drugs, meaning they don't work well if you have to take more than one drug so mixing them can cause adverse reactions, so he'll need to be careful even taking over the counter medication or drinking/smoking, etc.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with your fiance.... however, most psychotic breaks happen around 20ish, so he's at the right age to start having huge issues with psychosis if there's any possibility of him going down that direction.... so I'm glad his doctor is taking this seriously.

trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM

It works great for my son and his opositional defiant disorder and behaviors.  Only negative is it makes him starving all the time and in one month he went from too skinny to wearing huskey sizes.  So we are really having to watch what he eats and how often.  But I'd rather have a chubby non violent/aggressive kid than a skinny kid that makes our lives a living hell.

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

this med worked well for my son , leveled him right out , it causes hunger , and makes sleepy- which can be a good thing also for some people , like anything else the effects can be diff for diff people but along these lines , my sons dose was higher

tiffanydearing
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM

He has definitely been displaying psychotic symptoms, he is EXTEREMY verbally abusive and it occasionally crosses the line to physically towards myself, his family and our pets  =(  this has almost caused me to give up and move on with my life solo, I am 4 years older than him and a disabled veteran so I would really love to use my GI bill to get an education and become more financially stable, as of now his separation anxiety prevents me from doing that.  I just know that he needs unconditional love and a strong presence in his life to help push him in the direction of getting help.  

He only started seeing this doctor about 2 months ago ( prior to that he had refused to go since his early teen years ) I absolutely did not want to force him to go or threaten to leave him, I felt that I owed it to him to be honest and tell him that if he didn't try to get some professional help that I wasn't positive that our relationship would make it the long haul. He wanted to help our relationship so he finally ( reluctantly ) decided to seek help. About a month and a half ago he was started on clonazepam ( the smallest dose 3x a day ) and while that helped relax him some, it didn't help with the rage..... hopefully the combination of the two meds doesn't have any undesired affects, but they are both prescribed by the same doc so I assume he decided whatever risks there may be outweigh the possible benefits. As a teenager they thought he had bi-polar and the meds they prescribed for that ( mostly SSRI's from my understanding ) had the exact opposite effect..... they induced more rage and caused suicidal thoughts. So far I'm not seeing anything like that with this medication (:

Yes it is very difficult these days ( basically within the last year ) I however love him unconditionally and I am determined to give him as much love and support as I can, if it is possible for him to restore his everyday life to a level of basically more good moments than bad, then I definitely want to be around for that!! I know the amazing man he is, it can just be difficult sometimes to distinguish the aspergers symptoms from the man I love...... but I'm sure without the aspergers he wouldn't be the amazing musician and history buff that he is, which are two of the things I love most about him!!! I feel very blessed to have found a doctor right off the bat that took the neurologists reports seriously and seems to be tackling this from the right direction!! 

Quoting kajira:

My son is on it for being schizophrenic/rage issues. It works really well for him, and that's the same dose my 8 year old is on.

We will have to paly around with meds a little more than what he's currently on for mood disorder on top of the schizophrenia though - but one step at a time.

Risperdol is good for uncontrollable rage that's caused by chemicals in the brain - if it's a chemical disorder, it works really well.

The main issue with anti psychotics is you REALLY have to be careful that you don't have to take anything else, even benedryl can interact with them in a negative way.

Anti-psychotics are amazing drugs when they work as needed, but they are anti-social drugs, meaning they don't work well if you have to take more than one drug so mixing them can cause adverse reactions, so he'll need to be careful even taking over the counter medication or drinking/smoking, etc.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with your fiance.... however, most psychotic breaks happen around 20ish, so he's at the right age to start having huge issues with psychosis if there's any possibility of him going down that direction.... so I'm glad his doctor is taking this seriously.

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My ex-boyfriend (we dated for 2 years and then lived together for 4) was on it for schizoaffective disorder, and it worked very well for him.  I mean, it never made him 'normal', but it did level out his violent/irrational mood swings.

kajira
by Emma on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

my son's bio faather is a lot like your fiance - he's an ex for a reason. I gave him the choice of getting help, or getting out of my life... and well... he chose not to get help.

I wouldn't/couldn't live with someone like that... so no matter how much you feel obligated to stay with him - don't if it's not healthy... I know what it's like but I'm with someone now who treats me like a princess and supports me, and is sooo good to our son even though he adopted him - there's men out there who aren't going to cause so much emotional pain constantly.... It's okay to love someone and not have them be the right person too..

Qusoting tiffanydearing:

He has definitely been displaying psychotic symptoms, he is EXTEREMY verbally abusive and it occasionally crosses the line to physically towards myself, his family and our pets  =(  this has almost caused me to give up and move on with my life solo, I am 4 years older than him and a disabled veteran so I would really love to use my GI bill to get an education and become more financially stable, as of now his separation anxiety prevents me from doing that.  I just know that he needs unconditional love and a strong presence in his life to help push him in the direction of getting help.  

He only started seeing this doctor about 2 months ago ( prior to that he had refused to go since his early teen years ) I absolutely did not want to force him to go or threaten to leave him, I felt that I owed it to him to be honest and tell him that if he didn't try to get some professional help that I wasn't positive that our relationship would make it the long haul. He wanted to help our relationship so he finally ( reluctantly ) decided to seek help. About a month and a half ago he was started on clonazepam ( the smallest dose 3x a day ) and while that helped relax him some, it didn't help with the rage..... hopefully the combination of the two meds doesn't have any undesired affects, but they are both prescribed by the same doc so I assume he decided whatever risks there may be outweigh the possible benefits. As a teenager they thought he had bi-polar and the meds they prescribed for that ( mostly SSRI's from my understanding ) had the exact opposite effect..... they induced more rage and caused suicidal thoughts. So far I'm not seeing anything like that with this medication (:

Yes it is very difficult these days ( basically within the last year ) I however love him unconditionally and I am determined to give him as much love and support as I can, if it is possible for him to restore his everyday life to a level of basically more good moments than bad, then I definitely want to be around for that!! I know the amazing man he is, it can just be difficult sometimes to distinguish the aspergers symptoms from the man I love...... but I'm sure without the aspergers he wouldn't be the amazing musician and history buff that he is, which are two of the things I love most about him!!! I feel very blessed to have found a doctor right off the bat that took the neurologists reports seriously and seems to be tackling this from the right direction!! 

Quoting kajira:

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Iluvmybubba
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM

My son is 4 and is on it just increased to .5 once a day at bed time. It has made a major difference. The aggression has gone way down, which I'm so thankful for. We haven't been on the meds to long about a month and have noticed a big change. Good luck :)

tiffanydearing
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

That might not be a terrible thing for him, he has some thyroid issues and only weighs about 120lbs.

Quoting trippyhippy:

It works great for my son and his opositional defiant disorder and behaviors.  Only negative is it makes him starving all the time and in one month he went from too skinny to wearing huskey sizes.  So we are really having to watch what he eats and how often.  But I'd rather have a chubby non violent/aggressive kid than a skinny kid that makes our lives a living hell.

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I love your answer here.

Quoting kajira:

my son's bio faather is a lot like your fiance - he's an ex for a reason. I gave him the choice of getting help, or getting out of my life... and well... he chose not to get help.

I wouldn't/couldn't live with someone like that... so no matter how much you feel obligated to stay with him - don't if it's not healthy... I know what it's like but I'm with someone now who treats me like a princess and supports me, and is sooo good to our son even though he adopted him - there's men out there who aren't going to cause so much emotional pain constantly.... It's okay to love someone and not have them be the right person too..

Qusoting tiffanydearing:

Quoting kajira:

icn_mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM

My daughter (will be 6 in march) is on risperdol, and I dont see it helping with violent behaviors, though is helping with her anorexia. I was on risperdol years ago and did help me be more calm and settled!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN