Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small Success!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:51 AM
  • 11 Replies
3 moms liked this

I just wanted to share that I'm so excited about one small success! Mornings have always been hard for us. But, the first week of school I made a visual schedule for our morning routine. It worked-until we had to do something out of order! Last night, I stayed-up making 2 boards for our morning routine. I made one for the stuff we do upstairs and a second for the stuff we do downstairs. I took the morning routine posters I had made, cut and laminated each task and attached velcro to the backside of each picture. I made a To Do box and a Done box. This way, Liam can choose what to do in what order! And because I explained that he had to be able to have every picture in the Done box before going downstairs to start te downstairs poster that helped with the transition for downstairs activities. The whole morning was a success! 2 kids (I made my older daughter a box too), complete readiness for school AND breakfast in 35 mins!!! I know it's silly-but any improvements right now are very exciting! I just HAD to share!!!!   woohoo

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM

There is nothing silly about that at all. Way to go momma! Sounds like you came up with something that works for both of your kids.

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I don't think it is silly.  It is cleaver and crafty.  Good job mom and Liam and sister!  :) 

Macphee
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Amazing.

I like your idea of having the visual aids, the must do and done boxes. I will use this for my son. Congratulations!

Kimmiky
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Congrats!  Any success, no matter how small should be celebrated.

And what an awesome idea to have separate ones for upstairs and downstairs.  I'm trying to get myself into organizing for making stuff at home easier and it gives me the idea to  make one for getting dressed and eating breakfast and stuff and then maybe another for getting dressed for going outside . . . especially since on the weekends I can almost see my son eyeballing his jacket and shoes like, ok, when are we going out to the bus?  lol. 

MomtoLou
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

That is awesome! High five!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Yay! I plan to do the same thing with my 3 oldest ages 9, almost 6, and almost 3-asd. My older two don't seem to be able to do the routine without my having to tell them what to do next. They are home schooled so we are a little more relaxed, but i want them to do what they need to do in a timely manner so we can get stayed on school in a timely manner.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bugsmama149
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:53 PM

The visual charts are always a great tool. Mornings with my son used to be Hell on Earth. The alarm would go off and some mornings I'd just lay there pretending to be asleep hoping my dh would take pity on me and get up with him before school. I hated it. I hated getting angry at him and then having to take him to school. It would bother me all day.  I started an incentive chart. Little rewards here and there for following the morning routine. It didn't take long before the mornings started getting easier. We've used charts for various things for about 3 yrs now. It's a really good idea. I'm glad it's working for you guys, progress for those difficult mornings is always a good thing. Keep it up! :)

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:45 AM

way to goyou rock

That is so amazing! 

That is wonderful to hear.

Congrats to all three of you. Way to go!

Marcy_182
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM

that is AWSOME!!! those boards are a life saver!!! im working on all kinds of pictures to add to our schedule board. Once they get it who it works the possibilities are endless.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM

that is awesome! and def something worth celebrating!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)