Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Babysitting and feeling inadequate

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 2 Replies

I'm not a huge babysitter, mainly because there are few kids I can bring into my home who don't upset my kids routines and cause meltdowns in my house. I figure home is the one place my kids can be themselves and that this should be a safe place for them.

that being said, I am watching a couple little boys today. One is nt, he holds full out conversations with me, talks about trucks, and cars. Tells me what school was like for him and what they did. I realize its harder for me to hold the conversation then it should be. I'm so used to my kids and the way we communicate that today I'm playing catch up and feeling out of place keeping up my side of the conversation. 

This little guys brother is on the spectrum, and there are very very few people who will watch him because he can get violent quick if you don't know how to deal with him. He's also a runner. I'm lucky he likes me and my house. He sees me at school and has some of the same things my daughter has accomidations wise. So he and I are buddy's.

the stark contrast between little brother and big brother amaze me. And I feel so inadequate to keep up with little brother. 

Is this how it is when you have a child on the spectrum and one not? With both of mine on the spectrum I'm used to the life we have, challenges and all. I imagine it would. Be much harder to have kids on the spectrum and kids not on the spectrum. 

What are your ladies experiences?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
joel2010
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM

hun i only have the one child but from what i have heard other parents around me this is how it is and hard with the other kids getting it until they are older even and they get mad and act out so it seem little the older brother is good about it all

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I have one nt and one on the spectrum. My dd nt can be a handful especially during therapies. She gets jealous our ds gets so much attention she acts out. At first I was thinking she had ADHD but now notice these episodes usually only occur during therapies. She loves to talk and I have been told that her vocabulary is big for her age 4. It's odd cause her brother recognizes and can put in order 1-10 and she doesn't but ask her anything and her answer amazes you. I feel very lucky to have one of each. They balance each other out. My ds loves his sister so much an imitates her. His ABA notices too. He will respond when she calls his name and give her eye contact more often than with us. The way they laugh and play together is wonderful. I have noticed that he will even initiate some play with only her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN