Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Emotional Disturbance?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

Can someone please explain to me about the diagnosis Emotional Disturbance? It hasn't been put on my son yet however, the special ed teacher while phone conferencing-in to the school regarding his dianosis and the need for a special ed evaluation said that's what he would have from the doctor since the school was saying that mood disorder, adhd and PDD-probable Asperger's wasn't enough to qualify him for a special education evaluation. I am very upset about the idea that he could be labeled with this in order to get services-it sounds like he hears voices or has hallucinations or something like that. Does anyone else know about this diagnosis?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KatyTylersMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter is diagnosed as PDD-NOS and that was MORE than enough to get her a full educational evaluation by the school.  Sounds to me like they are trying to push you around and avoid paying the money for the *very* expensive and time-intensive evaluations they KNOW they should be doing.  That being said, get an advocate or a special education lawyer, get on the waitlist for a developmental pediatrician or neurologist and get the professional written undisputable diagnosis in-hand (your insurance will pay for this, ours did with no fights) and then you will have far more leverage to make the school listen to you. 

Far as I know anyone can be labeled with Emotional Disturbance - kids of divorcing parents, kids with more severe issues such as depression or schizophrenia, or even a kid with Asperger's who is not getting his needs met and is nervous, scared, angry, and overwhelmed. 

emarin77
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM

The school psychologist should be doing all children's/students tests.  Contact her/him not the special ed teacher.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I would ask her why she would have even told you that. She needs it to you. Just throwing a word out there can put fear into any parent. I am not sure why she would say the other disorders weren't enough to qualify him. That is new to me. I would call your state and find out what the requirements are

kinshipcaremama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM
If a student is doing grade level work and isn't struggling in the classroom they probably won't qualify for Special Ed. Emotional Disturbed is a label that is often applied to children with behavior issues. It doesn't mean the child has a mental illness. It's just another label that will help a kid get the services they need.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

bump!

Lilbit0700
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

get a Advocte they are pulling your leg.

Lilbit0700
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM

School cannot give a medivcal dx. only a dr can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)