Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter is a senior in high school.  She has an IEP in place for her diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome.  Long story, short, her teachers are aware of her problems and today one was getting on to the class my daughter was in.  She pointed my daughter out and told her to look her in the eye when she was speaking.  My daugher, who is not a problem, was unable to do so.  She then began yelling at my daughter in front of peers and told her until she looked her in the eyes, none of the students would go anywhere.  I am extremely angry.  What do I do?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM

That definitely needs to be addressed with the teacher, her counselor and anyone else who is involved in her IEP.  Your daughter should NOT be singled out like that regardless of whether or not she is on the spectrum.

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:53 PM
There are a few ways you could handle it. You could meet with the teacher and discuss it directly with her. If it was a teacher that my son usually had a good relationship with, I would probably go that route. If not, I'd read over his IEP and look under the behaviors modifications for "avoid direct confrontations with student." or something else that would apply. If it isn't there I would report the incident to the principal and request an emergency IEP meeting to add it. If the principal says anything except, "I will take care of it right away." Tell him that you will not wait for him to act and you are going to see the director of special education (which he won't care about) AND the assistant superintendant of the school board--which he will care VERY much about.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Also, request the IEP meeting in writting and have him sign a reciept when you give it to him. If you request an emergency IEP meeting in writting, they have 4 business days to comply. Also check and make sure that it is an IEP and not a section 504 plan--if she only has a 504 plan you can request an emergency meeting, but they don't have to have one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I had a teacher do stuff like that to me in highschool - and even when I reported it - nothing happened. I ended up dropping out of high school because of inconsiderate teachers like that.

Misunderstandigns, and confusion happen, a good teacher would be patient and understanding and not publicly humiliate anyone.

I personally find that a lot of so-called teachers lack people skills themselves, just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I would make a huge deal about this if I was you as a mother. This is something I wouldn't ever allow to happen to my children, even if they may have deserved it.

Problems/issues are to be handled privately... you don't publicly embarass someone.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Take your copy of the IEP to the principals office and have a meeting with him and the teacher. I feel that the teacher should apologize to your daughter in front of the class too. She was so wrong for what she did. If you cannot get the apology in front of the class than I would inform them that you will take it before the school board and even talk to the newspapers about the incident. I hate when a teacher singles out any student and embarrasses them in front of their peers. They are showing the other students that it is ok to bully and that is so unacceptable. I wish you luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)