Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting from scratch- LOST

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM
  • 4 Replies

My name is Kitty. I am the mother of a beautiful 10 yr old boy, Gabriel, diagnosed with ASD in 2003. I have done what I could, on a zero budget plan and now, I am stumped and at a loss and need advice. I did ABA with him for years, when he was younger. I found a therapist who came here for a few months but I ran out of money so I continued on myself. He was potty trained at 3, knows basic first grade math, phonics, ect. He has no major behavioral issues other than stimming. He is very calm and extremely passive. We live in Orion Twp., but our public schools in Pontiac, and the ASD program is downtown.........I just WILL NOT ever let Gabe go back to that school, ever! He started in Brandon schools 5 yrs ago so we have driven 120 miles a day to take him and my daughter to school, which in our car costs $450 a month just for gas but e did it for them. This year problems started at school. Gabriel would hide his backpack and lunch box every day! The ASD teacher misses alot of school and when the sub was there, who is not ASD certified, The para said Gaberiel becomes violent, hitting, pushing, throwing anything. We have never seen Gabe do this ever! Well, the para had the principal call us as she filled out an accident report and told us that Gabriel went nuts and hit her several times so she backed into a corner and covered herself. I have many issues with this but.......they wanted to get the "team" together and deal with Gabriel's "anger" problems. Anger problems? Huh? It was at the end of the first trimester so I just decided to take him out of school. I didnt know what was going on at school and I didnt want this meeting or bad reports on his school record. Now, I try to homeschool him but he's bored, as am I.

My problem is, I dropped out of college a few years ago when Gabriels dad and I had to share a car. He works and is a POC Firefighter. I take him to work at 6am, daughter to school 7am, Gabe to school at 8am, pick up Roger from work at 2pm, go get my daughter and wait 1 1/2 hrs for Gabe to get out. No time for school or work. Now, I am literally at home 24/7 with Gabriel. We do not have the means to pay for activities for Gabriel and even if we did, Roger always has the car. Alot, I know. Plz bare with me. Gabriel was diadnosed by a Ped Nuero who said he would never talk, ect. He talks very little, only to communicate his needs, ie: I want nuggets, ect. I need to get him diagnosed properly, the whole works from A to Z. He has insurance but most places do not accept insurance or we can not afford the co-pay. He has never went to ST because of this reason as well. Wanted to take him to a DAN doctor but couldnt afford what they require.

Gabriel is getting older and changing in some ways. He is considered min-verbal, he has echolalia and echolasia, has congnitive issues (he doesnt understand 99% of what we are saying), and I am just lost. The more I try to reach out to find help, I end up on a endless circle with no advice or end.  Does anyone know who or where I can turn to to get on a straight path without the red tape, loans for treatment or needless zigzagging? Any advice is welcome.

Thank you for reading and your time.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
VioletsMomTown
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I would try to apply for a grant from generationrescue.org or tacanow.org, they will help you with seeing a dan doctor and all expenses involved, if you are accepted. If not, and you still want to go that route, there is a website which you can join called autismactionplan.org, run by Dr.Kurt Woeller, which will guide you along the way with biomedical treatments. You do pay to join, but its less expensive than going to see a doctor. There is also a new association of doctors which has formed just for special needs, called MAPS (link) and they are accepting payments through insurance I believe. They also treat biomedically.

Also with regard to the school, I think you can have the local school board involved in his progress, sending work to you, and keeping up with therapies in home if you wanted. I'm not sure exactly what its called, but its an out of school schooling so to speak. You could always call the school board and see if they have any suggestions on how they could help.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Try reenrolling him in school and requesting homebound instruction. He could still get st and ot from the school that way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Tell TheCrooners, another mom on here your story.

She has two kids on the spectrum. One classic one aspergers. She decided to keep them home and has done well. I'd ask for her advice.

Gabrielfmom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Thank you for the reply. I will certainly try your links and carry on, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)