Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colic and bad gut bacteria... And autism?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM
  • 28 Replies

Saw this in the news today and it reminded me how EXTREMELY colicky my two kids were and how we were told it was no big deal and normal for our kids to scream for hours and fart like a room of football fans eating a steady diet of beans and cabbage...  Anyone else?  

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2013/01/14/16507221-colicky-babies-may-have-wrong-gut-bacteria?lite

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I didn't have colic as a baby, and neither did my son - my daughter did because of milk/gluten allergies and as soon as I cut out both her colic went away.

I think diet has a lot to do with it - a lot of kids are sensitive to formula/cows milk - or milk the mom drinks when nursing.

I really think they'd see a reduction in autism if we didn't artifically feed children who might be at risk for problems. I think if you have a chemical makeup and alter them during important stages of development, you can cause major problems.

However- some stuff is just plain genetics and nothing you do will prevent stuff either.

lady_katie
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

My son had horrible colic. We discovered that it was because he has a dairy protien intolerance. Once we eliminated dairy from his diet he felt better. His doctor said that he would outgrow the intolerance by one year of age, but he did not. 

MomtoLou
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM

My daughter was colicky she screamed for 3 hours every night without fail. It was clockwork. Started at 6, ended at 9. No matter what we did she screamed, one day about 7 months old she just stopped. My husband and I looked at each other and then the clock, and both about died laughing and crying at the same time. She never screamed like that again.

my son cried probably 20 hours a day for the first year. I went off all dairy and grains. He still screamed. I put him on a special formula, he still screamed, then had bloody stools. Got an even more expensive formula, he still screamed and still had bloody stools. We ended up putting him on such a special formula that I had to order cans from the state through a pharmacy. He was on that for almost two years. All this time we did testing for allergies,and doctors appointments. It was miserable. 

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM
They told me my son had acid reflux and gave him medication. Bf didn't work out and believe me I tried. I did drink a lot of milk when I bf. He was on soy formula, which wasn't ideal, but better than the milk. He was on medication for about a year. We know now that he has trouble with milk. Even small amounts of milk protein bothers his tummy.

I can't help but wonder if he would've learned to walk sooner if he didn't drink milk. He didn't walk until he was two. Shortly after, he was diagnosed with autism. When I read about diet and autism, I took him off casein to see if it helped. My little guy suddenly had all this energy he never had. The poor guy probably didn't want to move because he felt ill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluerose1482
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM
My son had alot of tummy trouble as a baby. We did extended breast feeding and I don't drink cow's milk ever. When I do drink milk once every few months, it is goat's milk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Violet was not colicky at all. She threw up alot as an infant though. And she used to have those man-sized toots before I changed her diet. lol

KatyTylersMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Dude.  My poor son was pooping stools the size of his ARM.  Not cool!  And yeah as a baby we were incredibly superstitious as to exactly where and how to feed him b/c that child would turn into a milk version of Pompei at any moment!  His gag reflex was like at his TEETH instead of the back of his thoat so EVERYTHING gagged him.  But once the milk was gone his poops changed overnight and he's never had a problem since with constipation, at least.  He still has texture issues in his mouth (despite the fact that everything winds up IN his mouth at some point) and doesn't like to chew things that are hard/firm like carrots or unprocessed meats. 

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Violet was not colicky at all. She threw up alot as an infant though. And she used to have those man-sized toots before I changed her diet. lol

KatyTylersMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM

This was exactly our experience.  Milk removed = TONS OF ENERGY HOLY COW!!! I'd see Tyler running around the living room looking at me like "mom! WTF am I supposed to DO with all this energy??? I CAN'T STOP RUNNING!"  but luckily for him, his big sister has ALWAYS had that kind of energy so I try my best to let them tire each other out now:)  What's more fun than chasing sister chasing you chasing her around some stationary object in the middle of a room? NOTHING!

Quoting newmommy430:

They told me my son had acid reflux and gave him medication. Bf didn't work out and believe me I tried. I did drink a lot of milk when I bf. He was on soy formula, which wasn't ideal, but better than the milk. He was on medication for about a year. We know now that he has trouble with milk. Even small amounts of milk protein bothers his tummy.

I can't help but wonder if he would've learned to walk sooner if he didn't drink milk. He didn't walk until he was two. Shortly after, he was diagnosed with autism. When I read about diet and autism, I took him off casein to see if it helped. My little guy suddenly had all this energy he never had. The poor guy probably didn't want to move because he felt ill.

KatyTylersMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM

So I tried to breastfeed, no dice.  My boobs are idiots and couldn't figure out how to make milk.  So we did milk formula b/c I am VIOLENTLY allergic to soy (not in terms of hives and breathing issues, but in terms of stomach pains so bad I thought my appendix had burst after one boca burger) as is my mom so I figured it might run in the family and wanted to avoid it.  So as I watch my youngest, 2.5 year old Tyler, getting SO damn big and wistfully imagine another baby, what can I give an infant that's not breastmilk (we're apparently all out and not restocking) or milk/soy based forumlas?  Is the only option the one another poster mentioned of some prescription state-based can of god knows what?

Quoting kajira:

I didn't have colic as a baby, and neither did my son - my daughter did because of milk/gluten allergies and as soon as I cut out both her colic went away.

I think diet has a lot to do with it - a lot of kids are sensitive to formula/cows milk - or milk the mom drinks when nursing.

I really think they'd see a reduction in autism if we didn't artifically feed children who might be at risk for problems. I think if you have a chemical makeup and alter them during important stages of development, you can cause major problems.

However- some stuff is just plain genetics and nothing you do will prevent stuff either.

KatyTylersMom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM

LOL my daughter was 12am-4am.  My son (thankfully) chose 6pm-10pm so Mommy got some sleep at least.  Thankfully both of them stopped around 3 months.  We gave them a product called "ColicCalm" which is basically activated charcoal and some other oils aimed at settling stomachs and eliminating gas.  My daughter really responded well to it so we gave her like the max dose every day.  My son didn't seem affected by it so we didn't continue it with him.  Now he's the more severely affected with PDD-NOS and I do sometimes wonder if the charcoal wasn't protecting my daughter?

Quoting MomtoLou:

My daughter was colicky she screamed for 3 hours every night without fail. It was clockwork. Started at 6, ended at 9. No matter what we did she screamed, one day about 7 months old she just stopped. My husband and I looked at each other and then the clock, and both about died laughing and crying at the same time. She never screamed like that again.

my son cried probably 20 hours a day for the first year. I went off all dairy and grains. He still screamed. I put him on a special formula, he still screamed, then had bloody stools. Got an even more expensive formula, he still screamed and still had bloody stools. We ended up putting him on such a special formula that I had to order cans from the state through a pharmacy. He was on that for almost two years. All this time we did testing for allergies,and doctors appointments. It was miserable. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)